Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I trigger a Amex F/R

tag
exdll1
Established Member

Will I trigger a Amex F/R

I been with amex for 1 year an 6 month, started with gold move up to plat. 5 months go. 6 months a go I got CSP with 8700 limit now I'm thinking of getting two more Chase cards at the same time in April. My history is perfect with them..... aways pay before time ......zero bal. every month... same thing with other cards....ficos in mid 700s... Do you think that the 2 app. this april might trigger a f/r?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Re: Will I trigger a Amex F/R

@exdll1 wrote:

I been with amex for 1 year an 6 month, started with gold move up to plat. 5 months go. 6 months a go I got CSP with 8700 limit now I'm thinking of getting two more Chase cards at the same time in April. My history is perfect with them..... aways pay before time ......zero bal. every month... same thing with other cards....ficos in mid 700s... Do you think that the 2 app. this april might trigger a f/r?

from what i have learned and read here, its not so much of opening a couple of more accounts that can trigger a FR but its more of what you do after that. If they see you open new tradelines and then rack up debt, pay small amounts monthly, keep trying to get more credt, those could be major causes for them to take action. Im sure many people here have acqured a few new tradelines and never got FR by AMEX. My advice to you is dont change your spending patterns drastically. Just go about your business even with the new tradelines. I just got in with AMEX a few days ago so im sure other long time customers can give better advice.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 2 of 11
exdll1
Established Member

Thank you,your advice feel right and make sense. If someone took a loan from me and than I found out that they also started taking other loans all over town I would call them up to.

Message 3 of 11
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@exdll1 wrote:

Thank you,your advice feel right and make sense. If someone took a loan from me and than I found out that they also started taking other loans all over town I would call them up to.

you welcome. Im sure AMEX keeps tabs when you open new tradelines. They will not be concerned unless they see your score drop cuz of debt skyrocketing. You should be fine.Just lay low after you apply for those other 2 cards for at least 6 months just to be on the safe side...Smiley Happy

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 4 of 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

You'll be fine.  As long as you don't start carrying balances Amex could care less how many accounts you have.

Message 5 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@exdll1 wrote:

I  don't think so. Just stop and Garden after you obtain those cards in april and don't rack up alot of debt.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 11
Open123
Super Contributor

Opening 2 accounts by itself isn't going to lead to any FRs.

Even if in conjunction with rising balances and lowered utility, there is no risk of FR.  Usually, what leads to FRs is a combination of high risk data points combined with "outlier" spending, such as huge cash like transactions and/or frequent payments which correlate with money laundering and potential fraud.

FR is mostly triggered by data points associated to potential "fraud" and "money laundering" type of schemes.

PS - I'm aware that many here have the propensity to pay frequently and before the statement cuts to increase scoring.  Makes perfect sense to those of us here who are all credit enthusiasts.  All things being equal, paying frequently before the statement cuts on its own shouldn't be an issue, but Amex's computers are set to isolate a set of data points considered "outlier" behavior from their members.  Most Amex cardmembers care very little about Fico scoring, 0% utility, and certainly would never pay before a statement cuts, let alone frequently before it even cuts.  99% of Amex cardmembers since 1958 (or whenever) pay in full *after* the bill has been received.  While being amongst the 1% who pays frequently before the statement even closes in itself should not pose any FR risks, this is nonetheless considered "outlier" actiivty by Amex (and some other issuers), since this data point has a high correlation associated with fraud and money laundering.  Moreover, as Amex has made clear to some cardmembers, "we are not in the credit building business."  And, all thing considered, "paying frequently and before the statement cuts" can only be considered "credit building" whether its to circumvent a low initial CL or manipulating Fico for maximizing scoring.  None of which are "wrong" or "bad," from my perspective, but may be considered risky by Amex and other issuers.

Message 7 of 11
Radek7752
Contributor

@exdll1 wrote:

I had a mini app spree this past month and Amex softed after almost every new inquiry. I haven't heard from them yet and I doubt they will do anything when the new accounts show up. In the past this has never triggered an FR for me, so I think you will be fine.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 8 of 11
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

@exdll1 wrote:

FR's, in my opinion, are really blow out of proportion on this website.

Just don't let your credit drop 100 points, and do not max out all of your cards and you will be fine. I have 3 amex, and since I have gained  them I  use my credit frequently.  If I did so less freq I am sure I would be in the 800 club. 

Since I have opened my first in 2006 I have had 30 inquires since.  No issues.  I even went 60 days late, and max out my first blue for 12 months.  No FR.  I even called them and told them I was having financial issues in 2008, was put on a payment plan, and..... No FR.  They did cut my limit, but once I paid in full for 6 months they auto CLI my limit back to where it was prior to hitting a financial downturn. 

Since being late, and on a payment plan I have opened 2 new AMEX accounts (HH Surplus, and AMEX Plat).

Be honest with them when apping, spend within the income limits you stated, and you will be fine.   

Message 9 of 11
Open123
Super Contributor

@pdog661 wrote:

Be honest with them when apping, spend within the income limits you stated, and you will be fine.   

Some of the best advice I've seen to date on how to "handle" Amex.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.