cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Walmart Discover get me on Discover's radar?

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Will Walmart Discover get me on Discover's radar?

Will my new Walmart Discover card get me on Discover's radar? Ive been checking their promotional offer site and I never have any listed cards.  Will this card change that?  (Not thinking about apping now but in the future)

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Will Walmart Discover get me on Discover's radar?

I don't think so. It isn't like the card is backed by Discover as a credit product, it simply runs on their network. The same way I doubt the BoA Accelerated rewards or USAA Amex get you on amex's radar. 

Message 2 of 12
jamie123
Valued Contributor

My wife received a regular Walmart store card in June 2012, she received a pre-approval offer in the mail from Discover in August and then again in September. She wants to wait to pull the trigger so they will hopefully start her with a larger CL.

It might not happen to everyone, but it does happen.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 3 of 12
compassion101
Established Contributor

Unlikely since it's Discover bank whose radar you are looking to get on and they have nothing at all to do with the Walmart Discover card backed by GE. But sounds like you may be well on your way to be able to get a card backed by Discover regardless.

Message 4 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Probably not with it just being on Discovers network and its backed by GE.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 12
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Dun;

You're more likely to get on Discovers radar if you have either AMEX or Chase, even more so if you have both, IMHO. 

I never had any offers for Discover, nor was I found to have any offers on their online pre-screen offer checker.  Last December I applied on a bit of a whim through a connected offer (get software for free if approved for Discover).  So wanting both to some degree, I applied, got the software for free as well as a Discover More with a starting CL of 6500.

P.S.  After inquiring last month about a CLI, they called me this week and after looking things over more closely, they upped my CL to 8500.   Smiley Very Happy (Mostly due to my spotless no late CRs from what I could gather them telling me, and only a soft to approve it.).

My Walmart was just upgraded to Walmart Discover in may after having it since early 2009 btw.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 6 of 12
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

Will my new Walmart Discover card get me on Discover's radar? Ive been checking their promotional offer site and I never have any listed cards.  Will this card change that?  (Not thinking about apping now but in the future)

if I pull money out of BoA's ATM machine  will that put me on BoA's radar....  both cases are unlikely,  in both cases its just a transaction flowing over a computer network no address or SP's or anything like that... its just a packet of data. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 7 of 12
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

Dun;

You're more likely to get on Discovers radar if you have either AMEX or Chase, even more so if you have both, IMHO. 

I never had any offers for Discover, nor was I found to have any offers on their online pre-screen offer checker.  Last December I applied on a bit of a whim through a connected offer (get software for free if approved for Discover).  So wanting both to some degree, I applied, got the software for free as well as a Discover More with a starting CL of 6500.

P.S.  After inquiring last month about a CLI, they called me this week and after looking things over more closely, they upped my CL to 8500.   Smiley Very Happy (Mostly due to my spotless no late CRs from what I could gather them telling me, and only a soft to approve it.).

My Walmart was just upgraded to Walmart Discover in may after having it since early 2009 btw.

Well I just opened two AMEX accounts and two Chase accounts....so I guess that should do it?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 12
gettnthere
Established Contributor

I never received an offer from Discover until i used their pre-approval site. Since then it def put me on their radar, as i get offers Bi-weekly now lol

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 12
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

Dun;

Well I just opened two AMEX accounts and two Chase accounts....so I guess that should do it?

Considering that, and along with what GetinThere mentioned (about checking their online approval page), you might want to try Discovers online pre-qualifier page (if you haven't already, just to trigger their system to know you're interested in their products).  I did that before I tried for them so maybe that got me on their radar before I applied on a whim. 

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.