cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a backdated Amex be considered a new account?

tag
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Will a backdated Amex be considered a new account?

I have a Costco Amex TrueEarning card that is currently 14 months old.  (Opened in April 2010).  If I applied for another Amex, said Blue, will it be considered a new account?  Also, will I get a hard pull or soft pull?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Re: Will a backdated Amex be considered a new account?

The new Amex would be backdated and report (in most cases) as member since 2010. On your credit report it will report as opened 4/2010. It will definitely be a new hard pull, unless you submitted 2 AMEX apps is a very short period of time (I think within a couple days they use the same pull, but someone else will probably chime in).

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 2 of 8
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

@emptypockets wrote:

The new Amex would be backdated and report (in most cases) as member since 2010. On your credit report it will report as opened 4/2010. It will definitely be a new hard pull, unless you submitted 2 AMEX apps is a very short period of time (I think within a couple days they use the same pull, but someone else will probably chime in).

In my experience this is not correct. If you open a new account today, it will be reported as opened on 7/2010. It will report the month you open the account but will report the original opened year.

My wife's Green Card was opened on 4/2010. She applied for the Blue Cash Preffered on 5/2011. The date reported to CB's is 5/2010.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 3 of 8
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@emptypockets wrote:

Actually, the new Amex card will report an open date of the month the account is opened and the year your relationship with Amex started. So, if you apply for an Amex card and are approved today your open date would be 7/2010.

Because the account will immediately be one year old, Fico will not treat it like a new account. However, it may reduce your AAoA -- depending on what it is.

OP, if you can wait until January your open date would be 1/2010.

Message 4 of 8
joestay
Frequent Contributor

The reason I asked is because I only have 3 active tradeline right now and I want to look for a house soon.  If I do get another Amex, then it might now look like a new account.  If the 3 active tradeline does not affect my qualification, then I would most likely get another Amex in January 2012 then.

Message 5 of 8
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@joestay wrote:

The reason I asked is because I only have 3 active tradeline right now and I want to look for a house soon.  If I do get another Amex, then it might now look like a new account.  If the 3 active tradeline does not affect my qualification, then I would most likely get another Amex in January 2012 then.

How many of the active trade lines are revolving?

Message 6 of 8
joestay
Frequent Contributor

3 revolving right now.  My car loan is closed.

Also, if I wait til January, will both amex report as opened 01/2010?

Message 7 of 8
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@joestay wrote:

3 revolving right now.  My car loan is closed.

Also, if I wait til January, will both amex report as opened 01/2010?

Only the new card will report as opened on 1/2010.

With three revolving trade lines, I would not apply for any new credit if you are planning to go for a mortgage anytime soon. One reason why is that you will have to explain every inquiry -- so your underwriter will know that you applied for new credit recently, even though there will not be a new account hit for Fico scoring.

If you're trying to figure out how to put your best food forward for the Mortgage app, I suggest posting on the Mortgage board. They have several posters who work in the industry that can give you the best advice in terms of mortgage apps.

EDIT: Forgot a "d".

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.