cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will adding a charge card to the mix impact your score?

tag
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

Will adding a charge card to the mix impact your score?

I know that one of the factors in FICO scoring is having a good mix of credit. Since I dont have a mortgage or any other types of loans past or present I am trying to diversify as much as possible. I only have bank cards, store cards, and now a charge card. My question is wether or not the adding of the charge card could affect my score in a positive way?

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Will adding a charge card to the mix impact your score?

@MissCredit9 wrote:

I know that one of the factors in FICO scoring is having a good mix of credit. Since I dont have a mortgage or any other types of loans past or present I am trying to diversify as much as possible. I only have bank cards, store cards, and now a charge card. My question is wether or not the adding of the charge card could affect my score in a positive way?

i may be wrong, but based on my understanding, the way where charge cards affects one's score in a positive way is that the balance is not factored into utilization calculations (except for that 1 TU scoring model).

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 7
w003ptr
Contributor

@MissCredit9 wrote:

Some (all?) store cards report as charge cards so any difference is not because you added a new "type" of credit.

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 3 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The types of credit (mix of) to my knowledge are: Revolving Cards, Installment Loans & Mortgage Loans. Adding the card you did will help with the revolving category over time.

@MissCredit9 wrote:

Message 4 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@MissCredit9 wrote:

i may be wrong, but based on my understanding, the way where charge cards affects one's score in a positive way is that the balance is not factored into utilization calculations (except for that 1 TU scoring model).

+1

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 7
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Trying to get past 750 this year, would love to join the 800 club actually but my credit is waaaaaay too young for that.

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 6 of 7
user5387
Valued Contributor

A mix of credit may help you, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to get it.

It's possible to have 800+ scores with only conventional revolving CCs, and no charge cards, installment loans, mortgages, auto loans, etc.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.