cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will an Amex charge card app trigger income verification or FR?

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Will an Amex charge card app trigger income verification or FR?

I think a more important question is whether you have, previously, picked up an Amex (or even another card), done the bonus spend, got the bonus, and either closed it immediately, closed it prior to AF hitting, or SDed it if no AF. Amex can figure all this out on their own cards. For others, they can make an educated guess by your credit report's account open/close/inquiry patterns. This may well lead Amex to FR or not approve the application in the first place.

Message 11 of 24
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@yfan wrote:

I think a more important question is whether you have, previously, picked up an Amex (or even another card), done the bonus spend, got the bonus, and either closed it immediately, closed it prior to AF hitting, or SDed it if no AF. Amex can figure all this out on their own cards. For others, they can make an educated guess by your credit report's account open/close/inquiry patterns. This may well lead Amex to FR or not approve the application in the first place.

Honestly very doubtful one would be FR'ed for bonus chasing..  A bit of a stretch there isn't it?  Hence once in a lifetime with Amex on bonuses and quite honestly their bonuses aren't anything special persay other then the 100k Plat, 50k PRG and possibly the SPG.

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex doesn't typically FR anyone for bonus chasing because they've pretty much put a stop to it with the once in a lifetime bonus.  They care more about MSing

Message 13 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

@yfan wrote:

I don't see how that subject could possibly be connected to a FR and have never heard a theory like that before. As was already mentioned amex only gives the bonus once in a lifetime on a card product, so this is a total non-issue. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 14 of 24
yfan
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@yfan wrote:

Honestly very doubtful one would be FR'ed for bonus chasing..  A bit of a stretch there isn't it?  Hence once in a lifetime with Amex on bonuses and quite honestly their bonuses aren't anything special persay other then the 100k Plat, 50k PRG and possibly the SPG.

I don't think it's a stretch. Capping the bonus to one per product per person per lifetime is a pretty effective weapon against churning, but it does not necessarily solve the problem of people getting the cards for the one-time bonus-chase anyway. I do think though that if Amex is concerned by these patterns they are more likely to deny the application outright rather than approve it and then FR. That seems more hassle and man-hours for them. What I do think is more possible is Amex becoming suspecious whether OP's income can support their spending on all of their Amex cards - remember, Amex created the Platinum card for high spenders and I wouldn't be surprised if they assumed a certain amount of spending in their models - and adding the Platinum could certainly raise that flag (thus indirectly factoring into their chances of how likely one is to close the card after the bonus hits and not keep it long term).

Message 15 of 24
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@yfan wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@yfan wrote:

I don't think it's a stretch. Capping the bonus to one per product per person per lifetime is a pretty effective weapon against churning, but it does not necessarily solve the problem of people getting the cards for the one-time bonus-chase anyway. I do think though that if Amex is concerned by these patterns they are more likely to deny the application outright rather than approve it and then FR. That seems more hassle and man-hours for them. What I do think is more possible is Amex becoming suspecious whether OP's income can support their spending on all of their Amex cards - remember, Amex created the Platinum card for high spenders and I wouldn't be surprised if they assumed a certain amount of spending in their models - and adding the Platinum could certainly raise that flag (thus indirectly factoring into their chances of how likely one is to close the card after the bonus hits and not keep it long term).

Ok a bit better response. Smiley Happy.. Let the FR begin if they choose with me, I have nothing to hide nor lied about income and worked hard to get where I am in life!  Just be a waste of their money and resources which would cost more than the bonus they are giving out, but if they choose so as stated I am ready to sign the forms and have that out of the way so I can go for my 3x on my 23k ED card; although i prefer no interuption to account to make the 3k as easy as posssible to meet during the 3 months as a FR can as you know freeze up ones account and take time off the 3 month clockSmiley Happy

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will an Amec charge card app trigger income verification or FR?

I applied for the AMEX green card, the Gold card and the SPG in one day (long story) and was approved for all three with no verifications or issues. This was less than a month ago. My current FICO is 714 and I have an annual income of $67,000. I also already had their Everyday Preferred Card (the clear one) when I apped for the new ones. 

Message 17 of 24
JLK93
Established Contributor

I think that it is low risk. When I apped for my Biz Plat and Biz Gold charge cards, in the same day, I already had my Amex revolver limits at 49% of stated income. I had just been approved for a personal Plat card 3 months earlier.

Just don't try to meet your minimum spend too fast. And, don't make charges that are outside of your normal pattern.

I personally believe that charge cards are low risk and that Amex likes people willing to pay their fees.

An F/R isn't anything to fear if you have reported your income accurately.

Message 18 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

@oilcan12 wrote:

I think that it is low risk. When I apped for my Biz Plat and Biz Gold charge cards, in the same day, I already had my Amex revolver limits at 49% of stated income. I had just been approved for a personal Plat card 3 months earlier.

Just don't try to meet your minimum spend too fast. And, don't make charges that are outside of your normal pattern.

I personally believe that charge cards are low risk and that Amex likes people willing to pay their fees.

Don't fear it, but I'm not inclined to go through it over one card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 19 of 24
JLK93
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@oilcan12 wrote:

Don't fear it, but I'm not inclined to go through it over one card. 

I think you're unlikely to get an F/R. Isn't 100K MR worth a little inconvenience. I just wish I was elligible for the offer. I would jump on it.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.