cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will banks that I burned "know" who I am?

tag
pi-r-squared
Frequent Contributor

Will banks that I burned "know" who I am?

I burned Citibank, Chase, AMEX, Sears, Target, Walmart, ExxonMobil, BoA, JCP a long time ago.  Will they "remember" me if I applied for cards under these companies?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: Will banks that I burned "know" who I am?

Yes they will.  Chase, Amex & BofA all have long memories.

You should consider making friends with Capital One, Barclays and Discover.

Message 2 of 26
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

If you are referring to your bankruptcy, yes. Mine was many moons ago, and was based on medical, only burned one or two sub prime cards.
Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some will have you on the list for a long, long time.  But as always, your mileage may vary.

I suggest, as was suggested before me, to make friends with the companies you didn't burn.  

Message 4 of 26
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

If you apply with the same social then yes, obviously they will. Not even sure how this is a question. 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 5 of 26
yfan
Valued Contributor

Yes, they will. But that doesn't mean they won't extend you credit ever again if you prove yourself.

Message 6 of 26
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

Citibank will remember you after twenty years.  I know from experience.

Message 7 of 26
getrdone1
Valued Member

I don"t have a siggy, but i have gotten back in with amex and chase after my bankruptcy(which is still showing on cra's,discharged in march 2006)..not sure how long the relationships will last, but for now they are serving a purpose..i had burned chase for a lot of money way back when..also a lot of cards i used to have(mbna,at&t,and many others have been bought up by boa and citi,etc)..long story short...in december i applied for and got an amex..starting line was 7500..now it is 22500..i did the 3x and was approved before my 61 days..have not tried citi, who i burned and has other old accounts that were transferred..your scores looks good enough for amex..if your income and new credit is good, you should try..i would really think about what cards you really need, and not waste inquiries..(fico)..tu-735..ex-731..eq-738

DINERS 30K...AMEX BCE 30K....BBVA AMEX 20K...NASA 20K...PENFED CASH 10K...ALLIANT REW 20K...PNC POINTS 17.5K...PENFED PLOC 15K...PENFED PLATINUM REW 40K...FIFTH THIRD 15K...BARCLAY REW 11.6K...CAP ONE VENTURE 13K...SALLIE MAE 12K...CHASE FREEDOM 7.5K...DISCOVER 35.5K...QUICKSILVER 11K...QUICKSILVER 9.4K...NATIONWIDE 10.8K...SPORTSMANS GUIDE 6.8K...EQ-850, TU-850, EX-849...BK OCT 2005...NO NEW CARDS IN OVER 2 YEARS!!!
Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yes, burned many banks and after the BK dropped they still clearly remembered. It even goes to the banks who acquired merged banks. Have read that the "blacklist" can easily go back more than 20 years (almost before computers). It still has an affect on my credit apps and my scores are finally in the 800s.
Message 9 of 26
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@ways2go wrote:

Citibank will remember you after twenty years.  I know from experience.

I don't doubt your experience, but it seems you can get in through a "back door". Citi was my 2nd largest creditor in my 2010 BK7 (Chase won top 'honor' I doubt I'll ever get back in with them). I have a Best Buy MC orignally issued by HSBC. Cap One acquired it and had it for a year or so, and Citi took it over in 10/2013. I waited a year and then apped for a doubling of the CL last Oct., Citi approved it in 15 minutes. Also in Oct. 2014 Cap One (3rd largest BK creditor) instantly approved me for a QS Sig Visa w/$10k CL. Yeah, Cap One is much more BK forgiving, but I'm convinced the year+ of the BB MC payment history with them helped me get such a large initial CL with them, my first app with them post BK. Hoping the same eventually with Citi.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.