cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will being AU on my husband's Chase Cards help me at all???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will being AU on my husband's Chase Cards help me at all???

I have yet to figure out exactly how this helped my FICO as much as it did, but my mother added me as an AU on her new AARP card. I didn't ask her to do that and I was a little annoyed because she actually lets balances report.

The last two months my FICO from Discover was  750. After the AU account reported (~$80 on a $6k limit), my FICO jumped to 797. I've got 5 TU inquiries in the past year and only 1 inquiry in the last month. My EX FICO only jumped from 740 to 755. Presumably that's because I have way more inquiries. I have 8 inquiries in the past year with 4 in the past 6 months.

My main point in responding is that clearly being an AU can help to some degree. I think exactly how much depends on several factors that I am having a hard time wrapping my head around. If anything I would have thought my score would decrease slightly with the additional account reporting a balance.

Anyone have any idea how my score could have been affected so noticeably? My AAoA is still around 5 years and my utilization improvement would have been very negligible since I already have more than $160k in available credit.

Message 11 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I have yet to figure out exactly how this helped my FICO as much as it did, but my mother added me as an AU on her new AARP card. I didn't ask her to do that and I was a little annoyed because she actually lets balances report.

The last two months my FICO from Discover was  750. After the AU account reported (~$80 on a $6k limit), my FICO jumped to 797. I've got 5 TU inquiries in the past year and only 1 inquiry in the last month. My EX FICO only jumped from 740 to 755. Presumably that's because I have way more inquiries. I have 8 inquiries in the past year with 4 in the past 6 months.

My main point in responding is that clearly being an AU can help to some degree. I think exactly how much depends on several factors that I am having a hard time wrapping my head around. If anything I would have thought my score would decrease slightly with the additional account reporting a balance.

Anyone have any idea how my score could have been affected so noticeably? My AAoA is still around 5 years and my utilization improvement would have been very negligible since I already have more than $160k in available credit.

There are also rebucketing factors that tend to impact your overall profile which in turn would reflect on your scores as well.  Also, the OP was attempting to gain some perspective on whether being added as AU would help as an "in" for getting back with Chase (see original post) - not so much whether it would improve scores or overall profile per se.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There are also rebucketing factors that tend to impact your overall profile which in turn would reflect on your scores as well.  Also, the OP was attempting to gain some perspective on whether being added as AU would help as an "in" for getting back with Chase (see original post) - not so much whether it would improve scores or overall profile per se.

Right, my bad on sidetracking the OP's question. However, I would think a score improvement might increase the likelihood of an auto approval at some point when the BK is no longer an issue.

I don't think the fact that OP was added as an AU on a Chase account specifically would make a difference though. I would think if being an AU on DH's account would help it wouldn't matter if it was Chase or any other bank.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Being added as an AU won't help.

The problem is that whatever credit you have extended to you (loan installments like auto and mortgage isn't taken into account as heavily) is above what they're comfortable with lending to you, given your income and history.

Even within Chase itself, let's say you have a card, the freedom, at 20k CL. You want to open a CSP but they're not going to open it for you because of too much credit available to you--you have the option of decreasing your credit limit on the freedom to open the CSP
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.