cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will cancel my payment to a merchant hurt my credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will cancel my payment to a merchant hurt my credit?

Hi experts there, I had an alignment a month ago. It is so bad that my steering wheel is off center not before but AFTER the alignment. I had the problem fixed at my dealer store. I argued with the store twice but they did not admit anything wrong and rejected to credit back my money.

My question is, can I called my credit network to cancel my payment? I have the test results by the store and my dealer as evidence. Do I need to provide to credit card company?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will cancel my payment to a merchant hurt my credit?

I had a similar problem with my car dealership a few years ago where they wouldn't replace something that was still under warranty.  I argued with them and they simply refused.  I went ahead and called the manufacturer and told them what was going on.  About a week later I got a call from the dealership to schedule an appointment to come in and have the work done free of charge.

I suggest you call your manufacturer and report the dealership to them.  You may get them to refund your money and then not have to deal with canceling payment at all!

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My situation is different from yours. My dealer fixed the problem for me. The store I went to in the first place (and which I went back twice) is not my dealer. I called the customer service of that store and was told to work with the store directly. It does not look like they want to deal with me at all.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My situation is different from yours. My dealer fixed the problem for me. The store I went to in the first place (and which I went back twice) is not my dealer. I called the customer service of that store and was told to work with the store directly. It does not look like they want to deal with me at all.

Oh I'm sorry, I misunderstood your original post.  

So you want to cancel a payment to a store for services provided because you are unsatisfied with the quality of service?  I don't know that you can actually do that without facing legal action from the store.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi catch-22,

I think it would be good to check with your CC company on this issue.  They probably have a policy included on your statement.  Although it will vary with each CC, it may look something like this statement from Barclay's (just as an example):

_____

If you are dissatisfied with the goods or services that you have purchased with your credit card, and you have tried in good faith to correct the problem with the merchant, you may have the right not to pay the remaining amount due on the purchase.

To use this right, all of the following must be true:

1. The purchase must have been made in your home state or within 100 miles of your current mailing address, and the purchase price must have been more than $50. (Note:

Neither of these are necessary if your purchase was based on an advertisement we mailed to you, or if we own the company that sold you the goods or services.)

2. You must have used your credit card for the purchase. Purchases made with cash advances from an ATM or with a check that accesses your credit card account do not qualify.

3. You must not yet have fully paid for the purchase.

If all of the criteria above are met and you are still dissatisfied with the purchase, contact us in writing at: (address deleted).

While we investigate, the same rules apply to the disputed amount as discussed above. After we finish our investigation, we will tell you our decision. At that point, if we think you owe an amount and you do not pay, we may report you as delinquent.

____

Let us know what you find out from your card company.  We're pulling for you - I hate hate hate it when I pay for something that wasn't done right.  And I think you're s-o-o wise to check out how to do it properly and not get hit by any damages from trying to get this all straightened out.  Keep us posted.

Message 5 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi catch-22,

I think it would be good to check with your CC company on this issue.  They probably have a policy included on your statement.  Although it will vary with each CC, it may look something like this statement from Barclay's (just as an example):

_____

If you are dissatisfied with the goods or services that you have purchased with your credit card, and you have tried in good faith to correct the problem with the merchant, you may have the right not to pay the remaining amount due on the purchase.

To use this right, all of the following must be true:

1. The purchase must have been made in your home state or within 100 miles of your current mailing address, and the purchase price must have been more than $50. (Note:

Neither of these are necessary if your purchase was based on an advertisement we mailed to you, or if we own the company that sold you the goods or services.)

2. You must have used your credit card for the purchase. Purchases made with cash advances from an ATM or with a check that accesses your credit card account do not qualify.

3. You must not yet have fully paid for the purchase.

If all of the criteria above are met and you are still dissatisfied with the purchase, contact us in writing at: (address deleted).

While we investigate, the same rules apply to the disputed amount as discussed above. After we finish our investigation, we will tell you our decision. At that point, if we think you owe an amount and you do not pay, we may report you as delinquent.

____

Let us know what you find out from your card company.  We're pulling for you - I hate hate hate it when I pay for something that wasn't done right.  And I think you're s-o-o wise to check out how to do it properly and not get hit by any damages from trying to get this all straightened out.  Keep us posted.

It's called a charge back. I would suggest that the OP contact their CCC and ask to file a charge back. They CCC will take all of the info, investigate, and decide whether or not to issue the charge back. If they do, it will not harm the OP's credit, as the CCC made the ultimate decision to refund the charge to the account.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think cancelling payment is the correct action here, althought I could be incorrect.  I do believe since they did perform work, you are required to have them remedy the situation, or take it somewhere else for a second opinion.  As for taking the charge back...that is very similar to canceling a check that you have written someone for services performed, and althought you weren't happy with the outcome, there was still a negligable amount of work done.  I believe you need to contact your county or city court's small claims department, and this sounds more like an issue that they could help you handle rather than the credit card company itself.  As stressful as these issues are to handle, it's always best to go about it the right way or else you may not get the money back you're wanting.  I think cancelling a credit card payment is mostly used for fraud situations, not for poor workmanship.

That's just my two cents, I hope you get it sorted out, nobody likes being done like that, wish you the best!

Message 7 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think cancelling payment is the correct action here, althought I could be incorrect.  I do believe since they did perform work, you are required to have them remedy the situation, or take it somewhere else for a second opinion.  As for taking the charge back...that is very similar to canceling a check that you have written someone for services performed, and althought you weren't happy with the outcome, there was still a negligable amount of work done.  I believe you need to contact your county or city court's small claims department, and this sounds more like an issue that they could help you handle rather than the credit card company itself.  As stressful as these issues are to handle, it's always best to go about it the right way or else you may not get the money back you're wanting.  I think cancelling a credit card payment is mostly used for fraud situations, not for poor workmanship.

That's just my two cents, I hope you get it sorted out, nobody likes being done like that, wish you the best!

No, it's not. If you put a stop payment on a check, the bank takes your word that the reason for the request is valid -- it is then between you and the merchant. With a charge back, you file a request, the CCC investigates the claim, and they decide if the charge back is warranted. One of the things that they will look at is whether or not you tried to work things out with the merchant. I recommend going this route.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see what you mean, and that does make sense.  I was more under the impression that by making that request, you are claiming that fraud was done, not that poor workmanship was different, but if the CCC reccommends this than yah, that's probably the best way to go.  Good Luck, let us know the outcome, I think people will definately benefit from your situation, because probably happens quite often.

Message 9 of 10
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Keep in mind that while the CCC may generate a charge back to the store, the store may feel that they still have a contract and you, by having the charge reversed, have violated that contract.  This could result in a number of unpleasant things depending on which state you are in. 

One possibility is that the store may file a Mechanics Lien on the vehicle, have it impounded and sold to pay the balance.  Another possibility is that the store may file a lawsuit in small claims court, requiring you to defend your actions before a judge and should you lose, a judgment would be filed against you and yes, that would be very detrimental to your credit.

While the above actions may seem unlikey or even remote, never underestimate the depths to which an unscrupulous service provider may stoop to collect their ill gotten gains.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.