Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will cards close after BT?

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Will cards close after BT?

I opened up a card through my CU, and am transferring balances from my Barclay Card and two Capital One cards.  My question is, will transferring those balances trigger Barclay and/or C1 to close the accounts?  Its not the end of the world if they do, but I'd like to keep them open for util purposes.  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will cards close after BT?

I've transferred many balances in the past and I've never had any lenders close accounts or reduce my CL's.

Message 2 of 6
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

they should NOT close....just show as PIF

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 3 of 6
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

The credit card bussiness is very lucrative, that is why they are willing to pay to aquire a customer, if you use the card and the lender gets paid in full, they don't complain where the funds come from. All they care is they got their swipe fee, and possibly a bit of interest and now they are happy you paid the bill, now they can lend the money out again.  Banks pay 1-3% for cash per year, they earn 3% swipe fee, then interest usuallly 15-29 percent,   15-29x if you cary a balance but its at a higher risk, short term borrowing is much safer  for the lender,  it is only 3% swipe fee if you pay it off again they can get more swipe fees from the same funds,   They will let you use the card, and BT it out all day long...  they made their 3% off you. I would be happy if I made $3 in cash for each $100 of money I had in my saving account. 

security and fraud departments may put limits on things, but if the spend is not outside of the norm, everyone  is fine.  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 6
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

If you are borderline approval, the CU may require you to close the accounts after the BT.  But the BT itself will not close the accounts.

Message 5 of 6
taxi818
Super Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

The credit card bussiness is very lucrative, that is why they are willing to pay to aquire a customer, if you use the card and the lender gets paid in full, they don't complain where the funds come from. All they care is they got their swipe fee, and possibly a bit of interest and now they are happy you paid the bill, now they can lend the money out again.  Banks pay 1-3% for cash per year, they earn 3% swipe fee, then interest usuallly 15-29 percent,   15-29x if you cary a balance but its at a higher risk, short term borrowing is much safer  for the lender,  it is only 3% swipe fee if you pay it off again they can get more swipe fees from the same funds,   They will let you use the card, and BT it out all day long...  they made their 3% off you. I would be happy if I made $3 in cash for each $100 of money I had in my saving account. 

security and fraud departments may put limits on things, but if the spend is not outside of the norm, everyone  is fine.  

What do you mean 3% swipe fee?

Those days are long gone.

I run cards all day long from customers and the most i pay is 1.65 on mastercard and Visa. i pay 2.5 to amex. and im a small fry. im sure the big stores are paying less than 1%

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.