cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will carrying a balance reduce Amex CLI chances?

tag
unrlmth
Established Member

Will carrying a balance reduce Amex CLI chances?

I recently applied for an Amex BCP and will be eligible for a CLI on it late September.

Will carrying a balance on their the BCP or another card affect my my CLI?  I have the cash to pay it off, but I want to take advantage of the 0% APR.

Will Amex care if it is not on their card?  Would they care if it was on their card as long as I am still making larger than min payments?  My overall utilization should still be pretty low, most likely less than 10%.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: Will carrying a balance reduce Amex CLI chances?

@unrlmth wrote:

I recently applied for an Amex BCP and will be eligible for a CLI on it late September.

Will carrying a balance on their the BCP or another card affect my my CLI?  I have the cash to pay it off, but I want to take advantage of the 0% APR.

Will Amex care if it is not on their card?  Would they care if it was on their card as long as I am still making larger than min payments?  My overall utilization should still be pretty low, most likely less than 10%.

They count utilization by card and overall.  Utilization is a big part of your score, so it could matter. But you can never tell with the new model. BTW, AmEX does a soft pull so the information they use to determine whether or not to grant the CLI could be as much as 2 mos old.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

my overall Util was around 3% ,and i did have discover accidently reporting 29% and was still succesful in my cli, so ymmv 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 7
azguy13
Senior Contributor

I have found that Amex treats me the best when I PIF each month. I was AA'd and my account was closed back in early 2010 due to carrying a balance and paying minimum payments for about 3 months after I moved across the country. That was my fault for paying the minimum while carrying a $7K balance though. I generally follow the rule of paying at least 3X the minimum payment, if I cannot PIF.

To get back to your original question though, in my experience, they treat me the best when I always PIF

Message 4 of 7
Irisa
Senior Contributor

@unrlmth wrote:

I think you'll be fine as long as you pay more than the minimum and your utilization on other cards stays low. 

My question to you is, are you sure you're not eligible for a CLI until September?  If you recently applied your 61 days should be earlier than that. Sometime in August, maybe? 

Message 5 of 7
unrlmth
Established Member

@Irisa wrote:

@unrlmth wrote:

I think you'll be fine as long as you pay more than the minimum and your utilization on other cards stays low. 

My question to you is, are you sure your CLI eligibility is in September?  If you recently applied your 61 days should be earlier than that. Sometime in August, maybe? 

Yeah, since I had a CLI on my BCE a few moths ago I can't take advantage of the 61 day CLI.  And thanks for all of the tips.  I'm oing to PIF for all of my Amex cards at least until I try for the CLI.

Message 6 of 7
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

my balance was like 95% when i got my 3x cli! hope this helps!

PRG NPSL - Reserve 4.5k - Delta Gold 6.5k - Ritz 6.8k - CSP 5k
My Credit story
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.