cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will closing a charge card (Amex) hurt my FICO score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will closing a charge card (Amex) hurt my FICO score?

I have two Amex cards:  one from 1989 and one from 2005.  I want to close the 2005 card because the annual fee is $160 and I can simply use the older card.  I don't believe there is a credit limit so I am thinking that the utilization calculation won't change.  Also, my credit history length should be the same since I have several cards that pre-date the 2005 card. Does this thinking make sense?  I would hate to pay $160 for an unused card just because I am afraid of a FICO score decrease.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Will closing a charge card (Amex) hurt my FICO score?

It should not  hurt, drop the card.

Message 2 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I have two Amex cards:  one from 1989 and one from 2005.  I want to close the 2005 card because the annual fee is $160 and I can simply use the older card.  I don't believe there is a credit limit so I am thinking that the utilization calculation won't change.  Also, my credit history length should be the same since I have several cards that pre-date the 2005 card. Does this thinking make sense?  I would hate to pay $160 for an unused card just because I am afraid of a FICO score decrease.  Thank you.

Welcome to the forums.

I agree that it shouldn't affect you at all but you need to read Closing Credit Cards to get a better picture of just how all that works.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 3 of 4
score_building
Senior Contributor

may as well call amex to backdate the '05 card to '89 before closing.

@Anonymous wrote:

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.