fred

Will closing a charge card (Amex) hurt my FICO score?

I have two Amex cards:  one from 1989 and one from 2005.  I want to close the 2005 card because the annual fee is $160 and I can simply use the older card.  I don't believe there is a credit limit so I am thinking that the utilization calculation won't change.  Also, my credit history length should be the same since I have several cards that pre-date the 2005 card. Does this thinking make sense?  I would hate to pay $160 for an unused card just because I am afraid of a FICO score decrease.  Thank you.

Senior Contributor
Wolf3

Re: Will closing a charge card (Amex) hurt my FICO score?

It should not  hurt, drop the card.

MarineVietVet

fred wrote:

I have two Amex cards:  one from 1989 and one from 2005.  I want to close the 2005 card because the annual fee is $160 and I can simply use the older card.  I don't believe there is a credit limit so I am thinking that the utilization calculation won't change.  Also, my credit history length should be the same since I have several cards that pre-date the 2005 card. Does this thinking make sense?  I would hate to pay $160 for an unused card just because I am afraid of a FICO score decrease.  Thank you.

Welcome to the forums.

I agree that it shouldn't affect you at all but you need to read Closing Credit Cards to get a better picture of just how all that works.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Senior Contributor
score_building

[ Edited ]

may as well call amex to backdate the '05 card to '89 before closing.

fred wrote:

FICOS:
06/13 EX 765 (PSECU) EQ 771 (DCU) TU 779 (Barclays)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}