Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will closing cards hurt my credit?

tag
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

Will closing cards hurt my credit?

I have about 4 that I dont use at all and one of them has a stressful $750 limit. I would prefer to nly keep the good cards,  amex blue cash, amex every day, discover it, chase saphire preffered etc...

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will closing cards hurt my credit?

Closing your CC's will affect you from AAoA perspective. There is definitely another thread which had more inputs from other members regarding the same question {I do not have the URL to that thread handy}. Generally, recommended is that keep all your cards and just charge them small amounts 1-2 times a year to keep them active. Also, by closing the open credits your UTIL will also increase, which will affect your scores.

Message 2 of 10
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

@JoshNurse wrote:

I have about 4 that I dont use at all and one of them has a stressful $750 limit. I would prefer to nly keep the good cards,  amex blue cash, amex every day, discover it, chase saphire preffered etc...

have you tried getting a CLI on any of your lower cards?

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 3 of 10
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@JoshNurse wrote:

In the short term, the only hit to your score would be from UTIL. For example, if you have five cards with 10K total credit and are using 4k of that credit, you're at 40% UTIL. You close one card with a 2K limit, and now you're using 4K out of 8K, which is 50% UTIL. However, the act of closing a card in and of itself doesn't lower a score.

Long term, the cards will still report for ten years. After the ten years, your score could take a dip (due to AAoA) when they stop reporting.

Message 4 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@JoshNurse wrote:

Here is an excellent thread discussing the pros and cons of closing CC's.

Closing Credit Cards

Message 5 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Closing your CC's will affect you from AAoA perspective. There is definitely another thread which had more inputs from other members regarding the same question {I do not have the URL to that thread handy}. Generally, recommended is that keep all your cards and just charge them small amounts 1-2 times a year to keep them active. Also, by closing the open credits your UTIL will also increase, which will affect your scores.

Closing any card will have no immediate effect on your AAoA. After closing it will continue to report for generally 10 years and this helps your credit length history and AAoA.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JoshNurse wrote:

How is a $750 limit stressful?

Just don't use it, or just use it to buy a pack of trident layers every so often.

Then call them up and ask if you can pay them in gum. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@JoshNurse wrote:

How is a $750 limit stressful?

Just don't use it, or just use it to buy a pack of trident layers every so often.

Then call them up and ask if you can pay them in gum. Smiley Happy

HA! LOL! I like your sarcasm Nixon! I had a 750 limit for a long time so I just didnt use that card til the CLI. Stressful? hhmm. Or if you really dont want it close it and who cares? Im confused about why some people want so much credit? 

Message 8 of 10
sjt
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Closing any card will have no immediate effect on your AAoA. After closing it will continue to report for generally 10 years and this helps your credit length history and AAoA.

++++1

The only instance where closing a credit card can hurt is potentially your utilization ratio, as it would reduce your available credit by the amount of your credit line on the cloased account.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
HA! LOL! I like your sarcasm Nixon! I had a 750 limit for a long time so I just didnt use that card til the CLI. Stressful? hhmm. Or if you really dont want it close it and who cares? Im confused about why some people want so much credit? 

Thanks Smiley Happy

It's not even about available credit sometimes, but since you already took the HP hit for the card, you might as well milk some age from the account before letting it go. Who knows, the lender could do a complete 180 on you and start giving you CLI's on the regular.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.