cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will combining Cap1 cards hurt my score in any way?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will combining Cap1 cards hurt my score in any way?

I have two Cap1 cards I'd like to combine that would leave me with an 11k limit - the highest I'd have on any card that I'm not an authorized user on.  (these two cards are currently at 8k and 3k)

Would combining these two cards cause my current score to drop in any way?  Neither of them have a balance currently as I've always paid in full.  I'd mainly like to combine them as I never use the 8k card, but I use the 3k card quite often.

Thanks!

ONE MORE QUESTION:

I'm an authorized user on my boyfriend's Cap1 card that has a 10.7k limit.  He has a $1500 balance on it, which puts me at 3% utilization.  If I drop that card, I'll be at 0-1% utilization since I don't carry balances myself.  Should I drop him, or does having the card actually help?  Do AU cards stay on your report after you drop them?  (I think my AoE would bump up a bit if I did drop it, since he's only had the card a year if it goes off of my report entirely)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Will combining Cap1 cards hurt my score in any way?

Take a look at the Closing Credit Cards thread linked in the Helpful Threads sticky (don't overlook these resources!).

@Anonymous wrote:

Neither of them have a limit currently as I've always paid in full.

They both have limits.  If you've paid them in full they don't have balances.

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm an authorized user on my boyfriend's Cap1 card that has a 10.7k limit.  He has a $1500 balance on it, which puts me at 3% utilization.  If I drop that card, I'll be at 0-1% utilization since I don't carry balances myself.  Should I drop him, or does having the card actually help?

First off, accounts where one is an AU aren't considered in every situation.  Don't rely on them to boost your credit if you have your own tradelines.  However, if you have other uses for being an AU then certainly make use of them.

Second, the change in revolving utilization will give you a rough idea of the impact.  3% to 1% is a very small change.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you - I'll definitely check that thread out!

I'll change my wording in my post about limits/balances - oops!  This coffee isn't quite kicking in for me yet, I think.  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

One of my scores dropped a few points when I combined my accounts. 

EQ dropped 4 points. 

EX stayed the same.

TU hasn't reported yet, as far as I can tell. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.