cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will converting BofA Visa to AEx lose credit history?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will converting BofA Visa to AEx lose credit history?

I am thinking of convering my BofA Visa (no rewards) to a BofA AEx (cash back). I have had the Visa since 2004. It's my oldest card.

The BofA customer service rep said that my credit card number would change but the new card would be listed as being opened in 2004, so it would be able to keep my credit history.

But, I have been reading online that the history follows the account number, and if I will be issued a new account number for AEx, then my Visa account will be listed as closed.

Since the Visa is my oldest card, I don't want to do anything to hurt my credit history.

Can anyone please clarify? If you can provide a reference for your response, it would be even more appreciated. Thank you!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Will converting BofA Visa to AEx lose credit history?

Can't answer from experience.  I know there are people who have converted their cards to Amex when their Visa or MC became a Signature/World card so they could get their limit to report again.  Perhaps you can find one of those threads, or a person with such an experience will respond.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
Ron1
Super Contributor

Yes, they did to me many years ago. They reported it as a new account when they converted my Platinum Plus Visa to Amex.

Ron.

Message 3 of 8
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

Can't answer from experience.  I know there are people who have converted their cards to Amex when their Visa or MC became a Signature/World card so they could get their limit to report again.  Perhaps you can find one of those threads, or a person with such an experience will respond.

What do you mean?  Is there a difference in the way they report?  Is this another of those "I'm not gonna like what they are about to tell me" moments?

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 4 of 8
JMN
Frequent Contributor

I converted from a BAC Visa to a BAC AmEx six or seven months ago.

The account kept its history. Simply updated the account number.
Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 5 of 8
Guava
Established Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

What do you mean?  Is there a difference in the way they report?  Is this another of those "I'm not gonna like what they are about to tell me" moments?

Visa Signature and World Mastercard cards typically don't report their credit limit, that affects utlization ratio for people

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

History kept when I did it.

Message 7 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Guava wrote:

@crunching_numbers wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

Visa Signature and World Mastercard cards typically don't report their credit limit, that affects utlization ratio for people

Right.  This is what I was referring to.  And for some people that have had their Visa or MC converted to a Visa Sig or MC World card, and who want their limit to report again, one solution is to ask to PC the card to an Amex.  All Amex revolving products report the limit, so you can get your limit back if this is an option. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.