PBJ
PBJ

Will credit card companies issue new cards after 7 year charge off?

I have a question for the experts.  I'm helping my mom. She got into problems many years ago and declared bankruptcy.  She had several charge offs with American Express and Bank of America and Chase and a Citibank card.   All of them charged off and they are dropping from her record next year.

Her credit score is already getting back on the mend in the 700s as she has been doing well for almost 6 years now.  My question is...... will any of these same banks give her another shot?  I know they will drop off her credit report next year but I assume these banks have their own internal system which show they charged off. Anyone know any situation where the banks will re-issue new accounts after a charge off?

Much thanks for answers.

Senior Contributor
txjohn

Re: Will credit card companies issue new cards after 7 year charge off?

Amex - no

The other banks have had varying reports on their policy.

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Frequent Contributor
lajntx

txjohn wrote:

Amex - no

The other banks have had varying reports on their policy.

Who do they think they are? Macys?
EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Valued Contributor
usmc58555

Regarding AMEX:

She may be able to become a member of their Oasis program that will entail her payting her old debt and them issuing her a new account. AMEX pretty much black lists people.

Other banks have terms and policies that are hit or miss on that.

Just because a debt has fallen off a credit report does not mean it no longer exists or that a company has forgotten you owe them money. In many cases companies are reluctant to relend to a person who walked on their past obligations to them.

Signature line begins:
Credit is not a right, but a business transaction, one that takes into account risk, and charges accordingly based on that risk.
Your credit score is an aspect of your credit profile. Important? yes but just an aspect. Contributing/supplemental information determines the finer point of the deal. Ask any question, respect me not to get mad if the answer is not the affirmation you are looking for,
PBJ
PBJ

Thanks for the responses.  I figured that AMEX wouldn't but didn't know about the others. Thanks.
Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue

AMEX - No

Citi - Yes

Chase - ?

Were these accounts included in a BK? You may not be able to participate in the Oasis program if the amount was IIB.

Valued Member
soccrstar

Bank of America <<--- Not until you pay them in Full.

EQ: 658 FICO / EX: 600 FICO / TU: 649 FICO / EQ: 637 USAA FAKO / EX: 637 USAA FAKO / TU: 700 USAA FAKO
Credit Karma: 590 / Credit Sesame 572
Positive Open Loan Tradelines: DCU (auto loan) $31000 / One Student Loan
24 Cards TOTAL = 9 Store cards / 4 Secured Card / 11 Credit Cards / Cards In Wallet - BoA Americard / NEWEST CARD - Blaze Mastercard
goal by 2015: UNDER 8000K in credit card debt

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}