cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will freezing prevent companies from doing SP?

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Will freezing prevent companies from doing SP?

Seriously thinking of putting all 3 on ice. Have a few questions regarding freezing. Will my current creditors still be to SP me for future cli? Do my reports still continue updating monthly with all my accounts and loans? Will future companies be able to send offers of credit or will the "shopping cart trick" be deactivated due to the freeze? Will I get pop ups anymore? What else is entailed in freezing.... Can and cants? Help me understand a bit better. Is freezing also opting out too? I don't want to opt out, thanks 

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Will freezing prevent companies from doing SP?

@pizza1 wrote:

Seriously thinking of putting all 3 on ice.

Excellent idea.

Have a few questions regarding freezing.

Bring 'em on!

Will my current creditors still be to SP me for future cli?

YES

Do my reports still continue updating monthly with all my accounts and loans?

YES

Will future companies be able to send offers of credit or will the "shopping cart trick" be deactivated due to the freeze?

YES, as long as you're not opted out of prescreen. I got my Chase offers like that.

Will I get pop ups anymore?

Not sure, I don't do SCT.

What else is entailed in freezing.... Can and cants? Help me understand a bit better.

You will get your periodic credit scores (Discover, DCU, Barclay's, Credit Karma, Cap One, US Bank EX Plus Score) and reports (annualcreditreport.com, Credit Karma, TU, EX, EQ sites). You won't get access to CreditSesame or Credit.com FAKOs. 

If a new lender / bank is making a new decision (not pre-approval) and require to either HP or SP your report, they will ask you to unfreeze your report first. However, your existing lenders can mostly go through the freeze.You can choose to unfreeze for a particular lender (one-time password) or for all lenders for a particular amount of time, or forever.

Is freezing also opting out too? I don't want to opt out, thanks 

NO. You need to opt-out separately if you so wish; otherwise the two are not the same.

Message 2 of 31
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Goshida... Wow! Thank you so much!!! I was wondering if I would still be able to get my scores from Barclays, DCU, and Walmart. Thanks for answering all that!!!

Now... Best way to put them on ice? Phone or online? Also, what if I was denied credit last month, should I get my free report first before doing this, and try to fix some address issues before freezing? I really appreciate your help!! Thank youSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 31
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
Goshida... Wow! Thank you so much!!! I was wondering if I would still be able to get my scores from Barclays, DCU, and Walmart. Thanks for answering all that!!!

Now... Best way to put them on ice? Phone or online? Also, what if I was denied credit last month, should I get my free report first before doing this, and try to fix some address issues before freezing? I really appreciate your help!! Thank youSmiley Happy

You are welcome.

Best way: I don't know if there is one way better than the other. I was able to do TU online, EX wasn't easy online but through auto-line on phone, and EQ was the least tech-friendly as they continue to keep saying I cannot be verified. So they had to be done by mail.

You can get your free report(s) first; but really the two processes are independent of each other. I was able to raise a dispute with TU with my freeze still on. 

Message 4 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

pretty sure it locks you out of macys and bloomingdale cli and also GE/SYNC! don't know why but always has seemed to keep me from getting CLI's at these places with frozen reports.

Message 5 of 31
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Mmmm, CA... Well, that just will not do then! I guess I'll freeze my reports once I've got all my GE cards where I want them! Lol!!! What will I have to rant about ?? Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 31
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
Mmmm, CA... Well, that just will not do then! I guess I'll freeze my reports once I've got all my GE cards where I want them! Lol!!! What will I have to rant about ?? Smiley Wink

Start a countdown of how long you'll be in the garden... LOL Smiley LOL

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 7 of 31
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Jon... Apparently it's now, lol!! Not getting approved anymore for anything, and this year of rebuilding tore me up!!! I'm gardening for at least ONE year, at that point my Bk will be 2 yrs old, and DCU wants a minimum of 2 yrs of rebuild post a bk to be considered, so I will try them next November maybe. Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

be strong! freeze dem credit reports!

Message 9 of 31
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
Jon... Apparently it's now, lol!! Not getting approved anymore for anything, and this year of rebuilding tore me up!!! I'm gardening for at least ONE year, at that point my Bk will be 2 yrs old, and DCU wants a minimum of 2 yrs of rebuild post a bk to be considered, so I will try them next November maybe. Smiley Sad

Maybe try apping for one next mid-December, so you'll have a shiny new CC xmas morning. Smiley TongueSmiley WinkSmiley Very Happy

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.