cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will high store card limits help you get higher initial CC limits?

tag
nodak64
Established Member

Will high store card limits help you get higher initial CC limits?

Im planning an app spree in 6 months When my scores should be up to near 700. But my higher limits are GE store cards. My only actual credit cards right now are a cap1 secured at 500, a us bank secured at 700, and a prg with a 2k high balance but npsl. Im hoping to not get toy limits. Iv been contemplating trying for a card that is known to give high initial limits but im not sure. My one big baddie on my TU is not showing for the last week(I have no clue why, I DV'ed it and they sent me a letter saying it was verified then it disappeared 3 weeks later) so Iv also been tempted to app TU cards.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Will high store card limits help you get higher initial CC limits?

@nodak64 wrote:

Im planning an app spree in 6 months When my scores should be up to near 700. But my higher limits are GE store cards. My only actual credit cards right now are a cap1 secured at 500, a us bank secured at 700, and a prg with a 2k high balance but npsl. Im hoping to not get toy limits. Iv been contemplating trying for a card that is known to give high initial limits but im not sure. My one big baddie on my TU is not showing for the last week(I have no clue why, I DV'ed it and they sent me a letter saying it was verified then it disappeared 3 weeks later) so Iv also been tempted to app TU cards.

Thoughts?

If any of your GE accounts are Bankcards yes, it would help. IMO store card high limits may help but more likely not much.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 11
nodak64
Established Member

What do you mean bankcard? I have an amazon and a walmart card.

Message 3 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@nodak64 wrote:

What do you mean bankcard? I have an amazon and a walmart card.

GE offers Visa/MC/Discover. Your Wally card will eventually upgrade to a Discover account. Having that would help your high limit chances.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 11
nodak64
Established Member

Ah that makes sense. Thanks.

Message 5 of 11
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

it does and it doesnt, my 5k citizens card was after walmart store reported 5k. 

before that (and still do) have a 3.5k macys, 2.5k best buy. but even when i had those, chase only gave me 500 on my freedom, and now its 1500(all auto cli) 

income is only 32k if that helps. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 6 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

Like LS said, if any of those cards you have are Amex/Visa/Discover/Mastercard branded, most lenders will take more of those cards into consideration. 

Other than that they seem to not really care much about it.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I wouldnt think a networked card would help more than a store (non visa/mc/disc/amex) to my knowledge a bank cant tell whether it is a network or store card. All they would see is gecrb/paypal or gecrb/walmart, whether it is a store or networked card.
Message 8 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
I wouldnt think a networked card would help more than a store (non visa/mc/disc/amex) to my knowledge a bank cant tell whether it is a network or store card. All they would see is gecrb/paypal or gecrb/walmart, whether it is a store or networked card.

They are able to tell. A networked card usually has some sort of abbreviation.

For example macys is usually DNSB Macys. 

Amex Branded is something like DSNB Macys/Amer etc.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Ah, i wasnt aware of that.

Macys is weird anyway. They give you a seperate account for your amex and store card.
Plus macys is dsnb not gecrb. XD i think dsnb is citi :-P
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.