cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will i need a Delta Credit card for "pay with miles" in 2015?

tag
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Will i need a Delta Credit card for "pay with miles" in 2015?

I think someone else already answered this question but i cant find the reply. I'm debating canceling my Delta card but was greated with good new yesterday when i saw that Delta isn't going to limit transfers anymore...Anyways...It led me to think that my only reason to hold on to the Gold Delta card is the "pay with miles" feature. I can easily just transfer MR points from my PRG. Anyways, does anyone know if i'll need the card for point with miles in 2015?

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will i need a Delta Credit card for "pay with miles" in 2015?

@Membersince2013 wrote:

I think someone else already answered this question but i cant find the reply. I'm debating canceling my Delta card but was greated with good new yesterday when i saw that Delta isn't going to limit transfers anymore...Anyways...It led me to think that my only reason to hold on to the Gold Delta card is the "pay with miles" feature. I can easily just transfer MR points from my PRG. Anyways, does anyone know if i'll need the card for point with miles in 2015?

I don't have the Delta card but I can't see why you would need the card.  Delta's mileage program is independent of the card and you should be able to transfer points regardless of the card.  I an transfer points to Delta's program from my AE account 

Message 2 of 11
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Tersm and Condition of Pay with Miles 

Program is limited to Basic (not Additional) Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles and Delta Reserve Credit Card Members, as well as to Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card Members and Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card Members. New Card Members and Card Members upgrading from another Delta SkyMiles Credit Card product who have a U.S. address as the primary address in their SkyMiles account are eligible to use Pay with Miles upon receipt of their new Card.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Program is limited to Basic (not Additional) Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles and Delta Reserve Credit Card Members, as well as to Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card Members and Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card Members. New Card Members and Card Members upgrading from another Delta SkyMiles Credit Card product who have a U.S. address as the primary address in their SkyMiles account are eligible to use Pay with Miles upon receipt of their new Card.

That apparently is a mileage redemption program within their credit card.  You still can redeem Delta Skymiles to pay for flights whether you have a card or not. It's called an AwardTicket. That's the same for all airlines mileage programs afaik.

Message 4 of 11
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

That apparently is a mileage redemption program within their credit card.  You still can redeem Delta Skymiles to pay for flights whether you have a card or not. It's called an AwardTicket. That's the same for all airlines mileage programs afaik.

Yeah i know that...BUT, there's this feature called "pay with miles" that's only avaliable to cardholders. 

Message 5 of 11
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

My understanding is that the Delta Amex will not be need for Pay with Miles starting Jan 1.  So if you have PRG earning 3 MR on flights, that's more valuable than 2 SM's.  The only other benefits are supposedly better award flight availability for card members, and a slight edge on the upgrade list.

PWM.jpg

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Membersince2013 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Yeah i know that...BUT, there's this feature called "pay with miles" that's only avaliable to cardholders. 

See that's why you don't listen to me :-).  Didn't know that they had such a thing 

Message 7 of 11
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Thank you SillyKitty1! If I'm not mistaken, I believe you're the one who clarified it for me before. With this information, I'll be either canceling my my Delta card or PCing to an Everyday card come April.

Irish80, it's okay lol. We're all here to learn.

Message 8 of 11
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

No problem .... SM's definitely get more convaluted year after year, so confusion is to be expected, and is probably even Delta's intent!

There is one benefit of keeping the Delta Amex that I didn't mention ... MQD waiver w $25K spend.  Ironic I forgot it since it's the reson I'm going to keep mine Delta Amex for now.

Message 9 of 11
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, I'm not really that familiar with Delta, so I don't know what an MQD is or what value I'll gain from having it waived.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.