cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will making charges/monthly payments on an account increase the chances of a CLI, versus 0 balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will making charges/monthly payments on an account increase the chances of a CLI, versus 0 balance

I recently got a Care Credit account because I wanted to take advantage of a promotional rate for lasik but was only approved for about half as much as I needed and they would not grant a limit increase. 

So my question is would making some small charges on it and paying it off increase my chance of an increase in the future as opposed to not using it at all? If so, would it be better to make the minimum payment on the purchase every month or just pay off a charge? The reason I ask is I used it to order some contacts - no interest for 6 months if paid in full so I could pay it off over 6 months and there aren't exactly a lot of other things I could actually use it for each month to show I'm using it/able to pay...but would it look better to just pay it all off next month or does it not really matter either way and the limit increase will entirely come down to my credit scores?

Strange side note - they did no hard pulls from any of the three...a soft pull for initial approval and another soft pull for my cli request.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Will making charges/monthly payments on an account increase the chances of a CLI, versus 0 balan

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently got a Care Credit account because I wanted to take advantage of a promotional rate for lasik but was only approved for about half as much as I needed and they would not grant a limit increase. 

So my question is would making some small charges on it and paying it off increase my chance of an increase in the future as opposed to not using it at all? If so, would it be better to make the minimum payment on the purchase every month or just pay off a charge? The reason I ask is I used it to order some contacts - no interest for 6 months if paid in full so I could pay it off over 6 months and there aren't exactly a lot of other things I could actually use it for each month to show I'm using it/able to pay...but would it look better to just pay it all off next month or does it not really matter either way and the limit increase will entirely come down to my credit scores?

Strange side note - they did no hard pulls from any of the three...a soft pull for initial approval and another soft pull for my cli request.

If you call them up and ask for a CLI they are very generous about giving them, but it will always be a hard pull.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will making charges/monthly payments on an account increase the chances of a CLI, versus 0 balan

That's the thing, I did call them - I actually did it twice. Right after I opened the card and was only approved for half of what I needed (I realize after reading I should have requested more than that) I called and asked for an increase, they asked a couple questions then said it would be a couple minutes and came back and said I was not eligible for an increase. The second time I called a different number that I found for Synchrony and asked for reconsideration, knowing they don't normally do that, and it was pretty much the same process. He said best he could do is attempt another CLI and came back a couple minutes later saying nope. This was over a month ago and there was not a single hard pull, not even from the initial approval. 

Message 3 of 6
pip3man
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you call them up and ask for a CLI they are very generous about giving them, but it will always be a hard pull.

Actually they DON'T hard pull no more for CLI on Care Credit - at least in my case. I got a SP increase from $5k to $15k last week and I only used the account twice. First usage (for $450) about 2yrs ago when it was initially approved and the second time last month (for $58) - a couple weeks before the CLI.

Message 4 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@pip3man wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually they DON'T hard pull no more for CLI on Care Credit - at least in my case. I got a SP increase from $5k to $15k last week and I only used the account twice. First usage (for $450) about 2yrs ago when it was initially approved and the second time last month (for $58) - a couple weeks before the CLI.

Thanks for that information. Good to know.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 6
stinastina
Established Contributor

What kind of score do you need for Care Credit and which cr do they pull ?

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.