Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my Chase Freedom grow with me?

tag
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

Re: Will my Chase Freedom grow with me?

@Youngcredit23 wrote:

I'm 4 months into having the Freedom some I'm just going to continue what I'm doing, PIF and keeping the ulitization as low as possible. I'll give it more time, see what happens, and possibly open up two more cards to add to my accounts.

Honestly, you're plan is sound.  Chase is one that does not give automated CLIs very often.  My Chase Freedom is my oldest credit card account (from 2006) and, like yours, it started out with a $500 limit.  I charged on it and paid it off in much the same way you are doing and every 6 months or so, Chase would increase the limit by $500 or so.  After a while the automated CLIs stopped and has never happened again on this card.  As a matter of fact, the last automated CLI that I was given on a Chase card was my Chase Sapphire Preferred (raised from $10,000 to $13,500) this past October, but that was mainly due to very heavy usage (charging 4 figures on it per month).  The Sapphire Preferred card has since been closed and the credit limit from that was split and transferred over to my Freedom and Slate cards.  To add, that is the only other time that the limit has been increased on this card...by closing other Chase cards that I have opened and transferring the limit over.  Now, the limit sits at what you see in my signature...a testament that the card can grow with good usage and payment history (and transferring credit limits...lol).  The Freedom is a great card to have...especially for those 5% cash-back rotating categories throughout the year.

@Youngcredit23 wrote:

Quick question guys: I paid in full before the statement cut off date so it shows that my amount due for 2/11 is $0. I'm assuming that regardless of me having a balance now that I don't have to pay anything correct, since this balance now is from a different cut off date? 

Yes, your assumption is correct.  If your required payment due is $0 then you don't pay anything.  Just remember that you must pay the balance of the statement (statement balance) that closes just after 2/11 by your next due date (assuming 3/11) in order to avoid interest charges.

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 31 of 39
TeeandDee
Frequent Contributor

I've had my Chase Freedom for two years next month and have only received one auto CLI at the six month mark.  My credit limit has been stuck at $1500 since.  I've requested a CLI twice and have been denied.  Like many have said, I applied for the Chase Amazon Visa card and was approved for $3,000 a week or so after being denied a request for a CLI.  Go figure.  My Chase Amazon Visa has not grown much either.  I've had one auto CLI and that's been it.  I've sock drawered both of my Chase cards because they simply do not grow well and I am sick of the HP's when I ask for a CLI.  It's like a lose - lose situation...you get hit with inquiries that will be held against you (too many inquires etc.) and then to get denied.....it's all for nothing! LOL!

Slowly building....
Message 32 of 39
CelticLady
Regular Contributor

I received my Chase Freedom in 4/11 with a 1k limit. It was my first non-Capital One card in over 10 years. Had 4 Capital One rebuilders at the time. In 2/13 I called and requested a CLI of 1k and they gave it to me. Then in Aug or Sept. of 13 I got an auto-CLI of 1k bringing me to 3k limit.  Not a huge improvement but I've been relatively happy with the increases I've received.

I did just apply for a Chase Amazon Visa. Instant approval but only a $500 limit. No luck with recon, said they would have to do a HP and it would be evaluated as a CLI which I declined. They then offered to move some of my CL from the Freedom over to the Amazon card. Not what I was looking for so I also declined that. We'll see if I get an auto-CLI after 6 months with the Amazon card.

Wells Fargo Propel / AMEX BCE / Cap1 QS WMC / Chase Freedom / Cap1 QS / Discover it / Cap1 QSO / Chase Amazon Visa / PayPal CBMC /
Message 33 of 39
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

I got my freedom with $1000 CL. Three month later I called them to raise it to $2000 and they approved instantly!

Message 34 of 39
Involver
Valued Contributor

I got a relatively low starting CL with my Freedom (not wholly surprised) and have been pushing through heavy spend and multiple payments per month which I'm going to continue to do until 6 mo and hopefully that will result in some sort of growth.  

Message 35 of 39
dougie109
Established Member

3ish years ago i was approved for freedom with 500 limit. never once gave me a increase. Last month i applied for CSP and approved. shortly after penfed approved and then discover, all with much higher than my 500 limits across all my cards. If i was you id apply for another chase product, take advantage of the reward and transfer limit to freedom card and call it a day. 

In My Wallet:
| Chase Sapphire Preferred (01/2014) | Penfed Platinum Cash preferred (01/2014 | NFCU cashRewards (01/2014 | Citi Diamond Preferred (01/2014 | Walmart Discover (01/2014 | Bank Of Americard (04/2012) | Capital One Quicksilver Visa (08/2010) | Capital One Quicksilver MasterCard (12/2010) | Amex Zync (04/2011) | Chase Freedom (11/2011) | Discover more (12/2011) |
Transunion 720 Experian 728 Equafax 704
Message 36 of 39
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I would never recommend a card from Chase with the idea it would grow with the person. Absolutely not.

To me, the most efficient use of a HP with regards to CLI is to simply app for another card. It seems the higher the card in prestige --- the higher the CL, as well.
Message 37 of 39
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@efranklin23 wrote:

@Youngcredit23 wrote:

I've been doing some reading on the forums, and I've come across topics saying that Chase is very stern when it comes to growing with its customer, or in other words giving CLI's as time passes...

Will my Chase Freedom grow with me? They started me off with a 500CL since it was my first card, but it's already proving a bit low as I find myself making full payments along the month since it's easy to hit the limit. As time passes, will the increase my limit with them, or am I stuck at 500?

Also, one other quick question. I got into the topic about prime cards and subprime cards; is the Chase Freedom considered prime or subprime?

To get started, how long have you had the card? Chase likes to gives increases when they see other cards in your portfolio (not Store Cards!!) performing under 10% and receiving CLIs as well. They're known for matching up cards so hopefully you have another CC to match with them so Chase can compete. If so, give it time and it grow Smiley Wink

And as someone said, while the Freedom card may be one of the easiest card to obtain made by Chase, there's no doubt that the Freedom is a prime card as you need decent credit (or the potential of decent) which alones take it away from the subprime category (predatory fees just to have to have a card or to do an CLI)

I heard about Chase matching cards but I wasn't sure if it was true. I just checked and the statement after my AMEX 3x CLI (1k->3K), Chase raised my freedom Cl to 3k (from 2k). Still not sure if they are related but it's just another data point. 

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 38 of 39
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

@efranklin23 wrote:

@Youngcredit23 wrote:

I've been doing some reading on the forums, and I've come across topics saying that Chase is very stern when it comes to growing with its customer, or in other words giving CLI's as time passes...

Will my Chase Freedom grow with me? They started me off with a 500CL since it was my first card, but it's already proving a bit low as I find myself making full payments along the month since it's easy to hit the limit. As time passes, will the increase my limit with them, or am I stuck at 500?

Also, one other quick question. I got into the topic about prime cards and subprime cards; is the Chase Freedom considered prime or subprime?

To get started, how long have you had the card? Chase likes to gives increases when they see other cards in your portfolio (not Store Cards!!) performing under 10% and receiving CLIs as well. They're known for matching up cards so hopefully you have another CC to match with them so Chase can compete. If so, give it time and it grow Smiley Wink

And as someone said, while the Freedom card may be one of the easiest card to obtain made by Chase, there's no doubt that the Freedom is a prime card as you need decent credit (or the potential of decent) which alones take it away from the subprime category (predatory fees just to have to have a card or to do an CLI)

I heard about Chase matching cards but I wasn't sure if it was true. I just checked and the statement after my AMEX 3x CLI (1k->3K), Chase raised my freedom Cl to 3k (from 2k). Still not sure if they are related but it's just another data point. 

It's something I have noticed with many CC posters when they talk about their Auto CLI Luv on here. Can't prove it but going on observation. But maybe it could be that we're deciphering the complex world of Chase? Smiley Very Happy

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.