cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my credit score increase with 0 balance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will my credit score increase with 0 balance?

Hi,

I have been studying how my my credit score goes up and down for years. I have heard 2 major schools of thought on this but no straight answer.

I have approx  15 credit cards. Is it betten to leave most of your cards at a 0 balance or have some with a low balance and 0 balance.

Schools of thought say the 3 blind mice as I call them, look at having all of your cards at a low low balance, with no 0 BALANCE. Does anyone have experience with this? Please let me know what your thoughts are?

OP-

In the future, please refrain from posting duplicate threads across multiple boards.  Thank you! ~ Lexie, myFICO Moderator 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Will my credit score increase with 0 balance?

Having one card report a 1%-9% balance and the remainder reporting 0% seems best for Fico scores. You can use your cards to show usage just pay all but one to 0% and pay that off before due date to avoid interest. Welcome to the forum!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you..this is what I keep hearing.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which card should I leave with 1-9% balance? highest or lowest credit limit? Oldest card?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Which card should I leave with 1-9% balance? highest or lowest credit limit? Oldest card?

Preferably your lowest limit, lowest interest card in case you goof and don't pay it in full by due date.

By leaving a balance, we don't mean revolving the balance constantly. We mean letting it report and then paying it off.

Message 5 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I have been studying how my my credit score goes up and down for years. I have heard 2 major schools of thought on this but no straight answer.

I have approx  15 credit cards. Is it betten to leave most of your cards at a 0 balance or have some with a low balance and 0 balance.

Schools of thought say the 3 blind mice as I call them, look at having all of your cards at a low low balance, with no 0 BALANCE. Does anyone have experience with this? Please let me know what your thoughts are?

OP-

In the future, please refrain from posting duplicate threads across multiple boards.  Thank you! ~ Lexie, myFICO Moderator 

My cards rarely do not have a balance.

I think both methods are fine, and what the "3 blind mice" school doesn't realize is, by spending months trying to fine-tune their "let one account report a small amount" strategy, what is really happening is... the portfolio is simply aging and showing experience. Thus the "let one account report" is not the cause of the improving FICO score, it is only the distraction that keeps them so focused on making payments that time takes over. They never miss a payment, and so enjoy the results of that good credit habit.

For my situation "optimization" means paying down the balance from $46k to $20k. That will allow time to catch up and be fully realized, instead of being smothered by too much utilization.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@NRB525 wrote:

I think both methods are fine, and what the "3 blind mice" school doesn't realize is, by spending months trying to fine-tune their "let one account report a small amount" strategy, what is really happening is... the portfolio is simply aging and showing experience. Thus the "let one account report" is not the cause of the improving FICO score, it is only the distraction that keeps them so focused on making payments that time takes over. They never miss a payment, and so enjoy the results of that good credit habit.

For my situation "optimization" means paying down the balance from $46k to $20k. That will allow time to catch up and be fully realized, instead of being smothered by too much utilization.

I agree with this and will go a step further. It's up to each person to figure out what works best for them no matter what method they use.

I guess I'm one of those "blind mice". I never realized my hobby of seeing how high I could get my scores was such a bad thing. I also agree that account aging has much to do with obtaining FICO High Achiever status but "tweaks" here and there can help you reach it faster.

If someone asks what seems to work best I will, based on thousands of posts I've read, always recommend the "let one card report" approach.

I've always written though that it's not for everyone. It's a personal choice.

But I'm not insulted being called a blind mouse. I've been called much worse!!  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

I agree with this and will go a step further. It's up to each person to figure out what works best for them no matter what method they use.

I guess I'm one of those "blind mice". I never realized my hobby of seeing how high I could get my scores was such a bad thing. I also agree that account aging has much to do with obtaining FICO High Achiever status but "tweaks" here and there can help you reach it faster.

If someone asks what seems to work best I will, based on thousands of posts I've read, always recommend the "let one card report" approach.

I've always written though that it's not for everyone. It's a personal choice.

But I'm not insulted being called a blind mouse. I've been called much worse!!  Smiley Happy

No offense intended. I hope it didn't sound that way.

My concern with the mantra of "let one card report because it is best" is, how much bester is it? If you, MVV, for example, were to change your style to allow three cards to report 1%-3% (so overall utilization is similar) and to do that consistently with the same three cards for 4 months, what would your newly stabilized score be after 4 months? How many points lower? I think it will be a fairly small difference in number of points. It may not be 850, but then you can prove me wrong and get back to your hobby Smiley Happy

For most trying to build credit, because of the number of variations in any given month due to timings, payments, % changes and just daily life, for them the passage of time making payments on time, trying to minimize interest cost, and keeping utilization under control are the most important factors.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you want a "straight answer" then you need to test and see how your credit profile is impacted.  I keep my utilization in check but I don't obsess over number of balances reporting and I'm usually right around 800.  I could probably eke out a few more points by reducing the number of balances reporting but it's really not worth the hassle to me.

@Anonymous wrote:

It really doesn't matter.  The limit is already factored into utilization.  Age does not impact utilization.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great info guys..thanks so much..Just wish we could get a straight formula or algorith that the 3 blind mind use so we can all understand better...don't know why its such a hush..hush..One day hopefully I will find people who have worked for the 3 blind mice and post this on the forum...

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.