Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my newly opened CC hurt my score

tag
Sedanbmw
Established Member

Will my newly opened CC hurt my score

Hi everyone, 

I am currently rebuilding my Credit score in hopes to buy a car in a month or so, I started  rebuilding  back in January when  I had a score of 530 and 93% CC utilization, last week my score was up to 590, and utilization was down to 56%, and got a few negative reports off my report.

So I had a brilliant idea (Saractiscally speaking) open an account with NFCU and open a Credit Card with them ;I opened the acouunt and applied and was approved for 2500 CC,  my theory is that if i dont use it, it would make my CC utilization lower.  But now i see my score dropped 4 points because of the inquiry the Credit Union did for the checking account and Credit Card.  

Do you think that once my new credit balance of $2500 shows on my credit report, it will increase or lower my credit score? BTW, I plan to bring my current CC utilization to 19% by the end of the month by paying another $900 off my already existing Credit Cards

Thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will my newly opened CC hurt my score

It will probably drop a few points from a reduction in AAoA, but lowering utilization would raise it more than the AAoA hit would drop it. If your UTIL right now is 56%, and at the end of the month you will have one new TL (and the corresponding hit to AAoA), but UTIL down to 19%, I am pretty sure your score will be higher, not lower.

Message 2 of 8
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Still new at this, but anytime you have an inquiry it will have a lowering impact on your score.  How much depends on what your score was previously and the information associated.  Scores should recover within about 6 months - perhaps as early as next month with a lower utilization.  Continue paying the debt down and increases will happen.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 3 of 8
user5387
Valued Contributor

Negatives are a hard pull, new tradeline, and reduced AAoA.

Positive is lower utilization.

If the lowering of utilization is dramatic, then it may dominate.  Otherwise, probably not.

Message 4 of 8
Sedanbmw
Established Member

Thanks!, i hope that will be the case.

Message 5 of 8
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Going from 56% overall to 19% is pretty significant IMHO. I know part of that is due to your $900 payment, but still. Should be a little better still once it's under 10% as well. Let us know!

Message 6 of 8
Sedanbmw
Established Member

Update...so after all was said and done after i opened my new credit card my Utilzation did go down to 30%..but the hard inquiry and loss of age of account brought my credit score down by one point..i do anticpate it would go up because i brought my CC utilization down to 4% after paying $1200 on the accounts..it just has not updated yet.

Message 7 of 8
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Sedanbmw wrote:

Update...so after all was said and done after i opened my new credit card my Utilzation did go down to 30%..but the hard inquiry and loss of age of account brought my credit score down by one point..i do anticpate it would go up because i brought my CC utilization down to 4% after paying $1200 on the accounts..it just has not updated yet.

But eventually the CC will age, the HP will fall off, and scores will rise. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.