Regular Contributor
Rebuilding101

Will opening a savings account help me get a credit card?

I want to say the answer is no, because I've been with BofA for 15 years and they still didnt approve me for an unsecured (although they did for a secured).

So am I dumb in thinking that if I open an Amex Savings or PenFed savings I'll get in their good graces and later look better to get a credit card?

Starting Score(4/1/10): EQ: 631--- TU: 646
Current Score(4/1/10): EQ: 725--- TU: 686
Goal Score: EQ: 850--- TU: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
Wolf3

Re: Will opening a savings account help me get a credit card?

Interesting Question which I have thought about.  Here are my thoughts.

For institutions like credit cards and most banks, I think it helps if you are a regular customer with checking & savings. 

I opened checking and savings with Wells Fargo last year and started using account as primary account.    I started getting online offers for secured card after a few months, then a few months ago the offer became rewards card.   I'm pulling the trigger next month and if approved, I know it will be true in this case. 

I used to be a regular customer of American Express (19 years, no defaults, no 30 day lates, heaviest usage of any card) and I doubt if opening a savings account with less than $10K would help me.      IMO, only large savings account would help.

I don't know about PenFed.

Are you going to take secured card from BofA?    It is one of the better secured cards.   

Regular Contributor
Rebuilding101

I did indeed take the BofA secured, although I wish I had known it was a hard pull every time you wanted to deposit money, I would have increased my initial deposit. Now I have to wait six months, which it sounds like is a good amount of time to wait in between hard pulls from reading comments on this site.

I already had Cap One with credit steps for a few months, and just pulled the trigger on the Best Buy card after the BofA was approved. I must have gotten my credit report on a good day because I was approved for 1,000 Plat card. Now my pre approval says Gold instead of Plat, so I think I dodged a low limit bullet on that one.

Starting Score(4/1/10): EQ: 631--- TU: 646
Current Score(4/1/10): EQ: 725--- TU: 686
Goal Score: EQ: 850--- TU: 850

Senior Contributor
Wolf3

Sounds like you are doing good to me.

Your Penfed savings account may have merit.    You might open a new post asking the best way to get a Penfed card.

Established Contributor
Itsmeagain

I have credit cards from BoA, Chase, Discover, Amex and RBS.  I have never had a deposit account with any of them. 

Why?  Because Credit Unions pay significantly higher dividends on deposit accounts than banks.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

New Contributor
vygotsky

[ Edited ]

FICO 738 (Discover)
09Lexie

@vygotsky

This is an old thread. Please copy your question into a new thread so that responses can be addressed to your particular question.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+