Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will removing myself as an AU.....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will removing myself as an AU.....

If i remove myself from being an AU will the tradline be completely deleted as if it never existed or will it stop reporting effective that time going froward with all previous information remaining?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

Re: Will removing myself as an AU.....

From my experience, it comes off your report completely.
Message 2 of 9
TheVerdict
Valued Member

I just had my parents to put me on as an authorized user on their Discover card so that I could gain some points down the line.  My Mom said that she added me but they never asked for any information besides my name.  Sorry for sounding so stupid, but how does it get on your credit report if they don't have your ssn?
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are on as an authorized user it doesn't do anything to your credit, as far as the credit bureau is concered, you don't even have access to that account. If you are a secondary user, it will affect both the primary and the secondary in the same way. The only way to get off from being a secondary user is the pay of the card completely and close it.

Message 4 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

People I have made AU on some of my cards still show them on their reports even after removal at the CC issuer's website. Some are showing open with older credit limits lower than the current limits. Some show closed with drop off dates 10 years after AU status was removed.
Message 5 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

TheVerdict wrote:
I just had my parents to put me on as an authorized user on their Discover card so that I could gain some points down the line.  My Mom said that she added me but they never asked for any information besides my name.  Sorry for sounding so stupid, but how does it get on your credit report if they don't have your ssn?

Spooky, isn't it?

Check your credit reports --does your mom's home address also appear somewhere on your reports? (former address or whatever)

+1 with smallfry --I can't get AmEx AU accounts (now no longer AU's) to stop reporting on DH's and DD#2's credit reports. BofA came off promptly, though.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you are on as an authorized user it doesn't do anything to your credit, as far as the credit bureau is concered, you don't even have access to that account. If you are a secondary user, it will affect both the primary and the secondary in the same way. The only way to get off from being a secondary user is the pay of the card completely and close it.

AU accounts DO in fact affect your FICO.  FICO changed their plans to discontinue considering AU.  So it still has effect related to age, balance/utilization and potentially derogs reported.  Most AU's are not financially responsible, so it is entirely ignored by a Loan Officer review and as a credit reference (because not financially responsible).

Also, most AU accounts DO provide "access" to the account.  Sometimes full access to call CSR for account info, access to utilize the full CL and in general use the card the same as the responsible party.

Message Edited by txjohn on 05-12-2009 04:45 PM
Message 8 of 9
TheVerdict
Valued Member

Yes.  As a matter fact her address is listed on my credit report, although that was my childhood home.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.