cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will they take back my sign-on bonus because of a refund?

tag
stylenjen
Established Member

Will they take back my sign-on bonus because of a refund?

I received the Chase Sapphire Reserve card back in January. My parents were planning a trip and offered to let me put $1900 onto the card to go towards my spending requirement to get my sign on bonus (back when it was 100,000 bonus!). Well today, several months later, I found out that my parents are having to cancel the trip due to my mom's medical condition (they were to leave next week), so that $1900 is being refunded to my card. Will Chase take back my sign on bonus??? I'm freaking out because I have already used the points towards a trip this fall. Of course I have put WAY over the spending requirement onto the card since having it for 8 months, but I'm not sure how this works...

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will they take back my sign-on bonus because of a refund?

@stylenjen wrote:

I received the Chase Sapphire Reserve card back in January. My parents were planning a trip and offered to let me put $1900 onto the card to go towards my spending requirement to get my sign on bonus (back when it was 100,000 bonus!). Well today, several months later, I found out that my parents are having to cancel the trip due to my mom's medical condition (they were to leave next week), so that $1900 is being refunded to my card. Will Chase take back my sign on bonus??? I'm freaking out because I have already used the points towards a trip this fall. Of course I have put WAY over the spending requirement onto the card since having it for 8 months, but I'm not sure how this works...

I doubt that you have much to worry about.  You already spent the points so it's hard for them to take back what you don't have (unless of course you have a lot more in reserve).  Even if you had a lot now I don't thik they would touch them because of the time lapse and your spending on the card.

Message 2 of 6
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

If you've spent enough to cover the return since then you should have nothing to worry about.
Message 3 of 6
python0704
New Contributor

I think the refund will show in your current statement as some merchant credit, it won't have anything linked to the purchase made during the promotion period except the amount is the same. So there's little chance that they would take back the bonus.

Message 4 of 6
yfan
Valued Contributor

I wonder if any of the respondents here are speaking from experience. In my judgment this could tip either way. It is entirely possible that Chase will take some sort of action to take back the points, and if not, to otherwise do something. Unless of course you met your spend requirement in the required period of time even without counting this $1900. I am not so sure that they can't link a transaction and its refund (for one thing it's the same merchant). Then again, if Chase likes you enough and you put enough regular spend on your card, Chase may just decide to let it go.

Let us know how it turns out.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say if you barely met the spend requirement then they might look, but if you were a lot over Plus have had good spend since then there's nothing to worry about
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.