Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this lower my score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will this lower my score?

I have a capital one orbitz visa rewards card that started with a $300 after 6 months they raised it to $500 because of Credit Steps. I buy everything with the card (unless theres some kind of discount). I pay off the card a few days before the 20th of every month as i know the 21st they send it to the CR agencies so i make sure i have a zero balance on the 20th and get the reward points. Usually i make about 3-4 payments a month sometimes more and i try to keep a zero balance every day of the month after all the transactions post. I have attempted on about 3 occasions to get a credit limit increase showing that i spend well over the $500 limit every single month yet they deny my credit limit increase. Will i still get a lower score even if i make sure i have a zero balance? and also is there anything i can do to get them to raise my CL? and well it hurt my score if i continue to ask for CLI say once a month or every 3 months. Once of my concerns is that if i have to make a purchase higher than $500 like say airline tickets i can't use the card because the limit is not high enough so i instead have to use the debit card which they wouldn't benefit from that big transaction because they won't raise my CL and i wouldn't get the points. I'm almost at 10,000 points and can redeem for $100 in Gift Cards in about 10 months so i spend about $1,000 a month so i would like to continue using the card for the perk if it's not gonna cause a big dent on my report and score.
Message Edited by wilmer0072000 on 05-26-2009 07:20 AM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will this lower my score?

A $0 balance on a CC generally wouldn't hurt you. If this is your only CC, then check your two FICO scores when it is at $0 and again with a small balance ($5 or so) and see if there's a change. If you do see one, I bet it is very small. Ideally, you'd want 1/2 of your CCs reporting $0 with the other half reporting a small balance of less than 9%. The only damage you could see with the card is if you let a large balance report. If that happens, you can easily recover the following month by getting CapOne to report a low balance or $0.

Read in this board and you'll see other stories of CapOne CLIs being denied. Seems like they froze CLI requests.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will this lower my score?

i have another capital one card that isn't a rewards with a $600 limit. I don't use it unless it's a big purchase like $500-$600

or if i maxed out the rewards card and need a backup. so ur saying i should at least keep the other card with like $10

every month? cuz  i hear friends talk about leaving a little bit but i also thought that if you carry no balance on any cards

that it's better than carry say 3%-5%. my grandfather has always done the same thing he has never carried any balance

on any of his cards and i know he has 2 credit cards with $15,000 limits each and recently his BOA credit card was

upgraded to the world points card directly by the bank he didn't ask for it they just send it through the mail and i activated 

it last week so he's living proof that never carrying a balance gets you everything when you don't even ask for it and he's

never in his life checked his fico score or credit report. EVER!!!!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.