cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this type of alert cause you to be denied credit..?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will this type of alert cause you to be denied credit..?

jack (or really, O6, but thank you jack for reiterating it) has the best advice.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I have been told is that yes it's in the law but that it is very very rarely if ever prosecuted and that there are millions of people doing this on any given day..

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What I have been told is that yes it's in the law but that it is very very rarely if ever prosecuted and that there are millions of people doing this on any given day..

You've been misinformed.

The Justice Department does prosecute.  I have seen it.  The US Secret Service has a special operations section to deal with all types of credit card and bank fraud -- which obtaining credit using a ficticious SSN is.  I guess the Secret Service has this section just for laughs.  While the federal government's threshold for prosecution (i.e. dollar amount involved) is relatively high, states often go after the "low-rollers." 

ICE deports people all the time and there are several substantive cases of people being removed for convictions related to thefts and fraud.  It even happens to non-citizen US military personnel and I have seen it a lot.

People drive without insurance all the time and never get caught.  When they do it isn't often read about in the paper.  But only someone with an overly vivid sense of entitlement or imagination would think it is risk-free.  The only question a felon needs to answer is just how lucky they are.

Message 13 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

OP, I'm thinking that the best thing your DH can do is start all over again. Let the accounts go that are under the false SSN, and just start from scratch like all immigrants do.

FWIW, most forums members here who are new to the US have found that after 6 months, their scores are in the 680 - 720 range, and after a year, they're solidly in the low to mid-700's. The advantage of being new to credit is that there are no baddies to overcome. Two cards under the correct SSN, perhaps one from BofA or CapOne and one from a local credit union, are all it takes. He could also maybe go AU on one of your cards, unless the false SSN screws that up.

It sounds like he needs to get away from that false SSN as quickly as possible, and hope to heaven that it doesn't come back to bite him one day.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 15
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Okay, I think it's time to put this thread to rest.  A post was removed because it wasn't particularly helpful and probably would have set off an unfortunate and increasingly contentious exchange.

The OP has received advice to deal with a legally complex situation.  There are unfortunately no great options to pursue.  There is a difference in opinion about the potential risk to the individual in question, and further discussion is highly unlikely to change anyone's opinion.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.