Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will usaa open the doors?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will usaa open the doors?

@Anonymous wrote:
I feel like they should loosen up a little bit. For example, an active service or Veteran should be allowed to have their family and friends join.

As a follow-up I was able to gleen the following information for eligibility today from the USAA Website (note this has changed in the past and may well change in the future) Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 4:24 AM:

Who We Serve: 1) Active Military; 2) Individuals who are currently serving in the U.S. Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines or Navy; 3) Former Military defined as those who have retired or separated from the U.S. military with a discharge type of Honorable; 4) Family to include widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who joined USAA prior to or during the marriage and individuals whose parents joined USAA; 5) Cadets and Midshipmen Cadets and Midshipmen at U.S. service academies, in advanced ROTC or on ROTC scholarship, plus officer candidates within 24 months of commissioning.

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I feel like they should loosen up a little bit. For example, an active service or Veteran should be allowed to have their family and friends join.

As a follow-up I was able to gleen the following information for eligibility today from the USAA Website (note this has changed in the past and may well change in the future) Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 4:24 AM:

Who We Serve: 1) Active Military; 2) Individuals who are currently serving in the U.S. Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines or Navy; 3) Former Military defined as those who have retired or separated from the U.S. military with a discharge type of Honorable; 4) Family to include widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who joined USAA prior to or during the marriage and individuals whose parents joined USAA; 5) Cadets and Midshipmen Cadets and Midshipmen at U.S. service academies, in advanced ROTC or on ROTC scholarship, plus officer candidates within 24 months of commissioning.

My sister gained membership through her husband. If they would just open it up to siblings I'd be in.......

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@heyryan wrote:

@creditfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What are you referring to?

I joined USAA back in I think 2010. This was when their banking products was open to anyone. They changed their minds a couple times but they haven't allowed non eligible members to sign up for a few years now. However, they won't let me sign up for a credit card with them. I'd love to get a USAA card.

why yours so different than mine. I'm also a partial member and joined it back 2013 before it closes the door, I am able to apply all credit cards even the newest limitless card

USAA doesn't allow partial members to get credit cards anymore. I've been a member since around 2000, and for several years I had the ability to apply for a card, but now it says I can't because of eligibility requirements. (I've called a couple of times to verify this was the case)

Figures - now that I've gotten my credit all cleaned up and they WOULD give me a card, I can't get it Smiley Happy

Yup that's exactly my experience. I was able to apply for their credit cards until August or so of last year. A rep confirmed that partial members can no longer apply for credit cards, but there's been some partial members on here who say they can. I was actually able to apply right before they cut it off, but I was denied. Not holding out hope on them reopening it. But I've been banking with USAA for the past 7 years, so it'd be nice. Their cards are actually very appealing to me.

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My sister gained membership through her husband. If they would just open it up to siblings I'd be in.......

CO_NATIVE in talking with the USAA representatives, they suggested that considering the membership changes over time, anyone who might have had some connection with a USAA Member past or present to encourage them to call and explore any eligiblity variations at: 800-531-8722 (remember with USAA they seem to change the rules and don't always adverstise the changes).

Message 14 of 23
creditfan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

actually there is a way in for family members (siblings), ask your sister open a spare account either saving or checking and add you as an account holder ($25 to open). That's the key let you in door with USAA, once your own account pop up with one of banking product then you can apply any other banking products with them eg: checking, saving and credit cards.

Please Note: this is apply for banking products only

PS: even now it closes to puplic, but you still can join USAA for other type of products

Message 15 of 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@creditfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

actually there is a way in for family members (siblings), ask your sister open a spare account either saving or checking and add you as an account holder ($25 to open). That's the key let you in door with USAA, once your own account pop up with one of banking product then you can apply any other banking products with them eg: checking, saving and credit cards.

Please Note: this is apply for banking products only

PS: even now it closes to puplic, but you still can join USAA for other type of products

That's an interesting loophole... maybe @Anonymous will drop by and chime in as well (he used to work for USAA).

Message 16 of 23
creditfan
Established Contributor

I can confirm myself

I was the one lucky enough to open a saving when it opens to puplic. As of now, my saving acct is shared between all my family members, I let it help them to be eligible to other banking products, eg. saving,checking, credit cards

PS: my suggestion, please keep it low so everyone can take this great opportunity to become a member if you have any relative is already a member and willing to help you out

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

creditfan that is a good option! Added my nieces to my accounts.
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey all,

Yeah I don't see why the joint account option wouldn't work, it's a really good idea.

Oz
Message 19 of 23
creditfan
Established Contributor

@creditfan wrote:

I can confirm myself

I was the one lucky enough to open a saving when it opens to puplic. As of now, my saving acct is shared between all my family members, I let it help them to be eligible to other banking products, eg. saving,checking, credit cards

PS: my suggestion, please keep it low so everyone can take this great opportunity to become a member if you have any relative is already a member and willing to help you out

just to be clear of what I said:

each account can have multiple savings and checkings, so you don't have to use your own personal (favorite) saving/checking to add them

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.