Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will walmart upgrade to discover?

tag
Suthrncomfrt1884
Valued Member

Will walmart upgrade to discover?

I was just approved for a Walmart Store CC, but would like it to be the discover card. Is there a recon number that can help me accomplish this? Will it work? If not, how lo before they auto upgrade?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Will walmart upgrade to discover?

The upgrade to Discover is by invitation only. You can certainly try and reapply but if you weren't approved now I'd wait until your cr profile improves.
Message 2 of 9
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Not sure if you can recon it...if you were going to be approved for the disco version thy would have given it to you...they try to qualify you for that first and then the store card. Others here have had their store card upgraded auto but it takes some time...maybe a year or so. Ymmv

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Had the same question and applied but was denied for the Walmart Discover.
Message 4 of 9
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Walmart credit is just like any other store that offers network cards. When you apply, they will try for the Network card (Discover, VISA, etc.) but if you don't have the credit tier for that card, they will try to approve you for the store card. And they are eligible for upgrades after about a year of use Smiley Happy At least you get your free monthly FICO when you sign up for online statements!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 9
Suthrncomfrt1884
Valued Member

This was the only reason I applied.  I wanted the free Fico score.  I'm wanting a mortgage next spring, so I wasn't going to apply for more cards to get my INQ down, but I decided to go for this just to see my scores.  Does anyone know what TU score they use?  Is it the 98 like myfico uses or is it the new score?  My TU here is 669, but I was told by another lender it's actually 588.  I've had some baddies fall off since then though, so it should be much higher now.  

Message 6 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 9
missjae
Established Contributor

@Suthrncomfrt1884 wrote:
I was just approved for a Walmart Store CC, but would like it to be the discover card. Is there a recon number that can help me accomplish this? Will it work? If not, how lo before they auto upgrade?

I tried a recon once with the Sam's Club/Sam's Discover and it was an absolute fail.  As others have mentioned, you can wait for an upgrade or once your CR changed for the better.

Message 8 of 9
JonStur
Established Contributor

While there's no hard fast rule, generally if you give the card some use, pay more than minimum, and keep your scores up, this greatly increases the odds of getting an upgrade in the near future....

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.