cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will you keep CSP after the 1st year? Why?

tag
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

Will you keep CSP after the 1st year? Why?

Hi all Smiley Happy

I'm now still in the sign-up bonus period of my CSP. I know this is one of the best travel cards out there. But I don't see further usage even after the sign-up bonus period. My understanding is if I use it for travel purchases and redeem for travels, I can get (2% * 1.25 =) 2.5% back per dollor. I have my Discover Miles in its 1st year, 3% CB on everything. There're also other 3% travel cards with no AF. I want to know what reasons make people paying AF to continue using CSP. Will the card benefits justify the AF for you? How?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Will you keep CSP after the 1st year? Why?

I think you have to run the numbers on how much you spend on travel and dining,to see if it's worth the af. Also you have to look at what partners you would want to transfer to. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

i'm a newbie here but i believe the appeal is in being to transfer ultimate reward points to the csp for redemption. so 5% from freedom, transfer over to csp for 25% bonus
Message 3 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
i'm a newbie here but i believe the appeal is in being to transfer ultimate reward points to the csp for redemption. so 5% from freedom, transfer over to csp for 25% bonus

The big value proposition for CSP isn't using them at 1.25 cents per point on the Chase Travel portal.   It's actually transferring them to partner hotels and airlines and using them in their loyalty programs.  Depending on the redemption, it's possible to get much more than 1c per point.    Often people quote around 2 cents per UR, but in some cases 3 or 4+

Then transferring from Freedom helps, but as Freedom is capped, it's not all that significant a source

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the primary auto rental insurance coverage.  I used to pay Amex $16/rental for that.  Now it is free on CSP.  I rent at least a couple times a year for little weekend road trips.  So right there alone pays for itself.  I also have the Freedom so I am able to squeeze a little bit more from it as well.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's being able to transfer to partners for me. I also combine with with the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited. Worth every penny of $95. The travel insurance is nice too, and even at worse case scenario cashing out isn't that bad.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I kept it for possible travel plans...but my flight to Ireland this year was paid for, I used NFCU card for getting Euros out of ATMS (virtually no fee) and charged everything else on the card.  Didn't use CSP at all.  I traveled a little last month and charged a couple of hotel rooms but it's basically been sockdrawered since April when I started getting 5% cash back on dining (I eat out a lot).  First discover now freedom.  Still, I have over $150 in UR points, so there's that.  More than pays for the AF which I last did in January.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you trust that points guy blogger, he claims you can squeeze 2.1 cents per UR point if you redeem them towards partner programs in the best possible way.

I use them for Korean Air miles for now, but let's be honest here. I'll probably end up keeping CSP even I'm not spending enough through it to make a net gain against the AF for 2 simple reasons:

1) it's my first dream card, personal pride to have finally squeezed in with Chase after they gave me the finger on my AARP app last summer

2) It's metal, and blue. I feel good handing it to cashiers, waitresses, and even swiping it at self-checkout kiosks.

Stupid reasons, admittedly, but they make it worthwhile even if my Freedom Unlimited + CSP UR-> miles doesn't end up being a tremendous value.

Message 8 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It's being able to transfer to partners for me. I also combine with with the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited. Worth every penny of $95. The travel insurance is nice too, and even at worse case scenario cashing out isn't that bad.

Well, as a last resort it's not dreadful, but you certainly don't want to pay $95 (after the first year) for a card that is 2% on just dining and travel

Message 9 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If you are just cashing out the points, there's no reason to be paying a $95 AF for basically 1% cash back, with 2% on a few things.

If you assume URs to be 2cpp, then it's a baseline 2% card, with 4% on travel and dining. These numbers are good and may be worth paying $95, but keep in mind you can get 2% base cash back at many places, and while 4% on travel/dining is not common, you can find 3% cards for these with no annual fees. None of this is to say CSP isn't worth it, but in my personal opinion, Chase has removed many of the benefits (annual dividend, 3x on dining one day a month, extra point for booking through Chase) while continuing to charge the same fee. It's a product that needs an update/refresh instead of more small cuts.

There are situations where the URs can be worth much more than 2cpp, and thus those numbers change, but they aren't common redemptions, and you want to assume a lower value rather than higher.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.