Reply
Regular Contributor
charyot77
Posts: 237
Registered: ‎06-21-2010
0

Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?

I'm helping a relative who's behind on bills pay a small county tax (under $200) but I've heard that using your credit card to pay taxes sends a red flag.

 

Does anyone know if this is true?

 

I would like to start using my rewards card to pay for things and the AMEX card is the first to come, however, I dont want to get put on their radar!

Valued Contributor
GregB
Posts: 1,669
Registered: ‎05-24-2007
0

Re: Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?

[ Edited ]

I pay property taxes, state sales tax, business taxes, etc. on CC about half the time. Recent charges of about $3K and $4K. Never had an issue.

 

I might wonder about Amex though. I can't recall using Amex for those since I don't think any of them accept Amex.

Valued Contributor
Uborrow-Upay
Posts: 2,708
Registered: ‎10-16-2008
0

Re: Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?

Ditto to GregB.

Valued Contributor
jamesdwi
Posts: 1,970
Registered: ‎09-16-2011
0

Re: Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?


charyot77 wrote:

I'm helping a relative who's behind on bills pay a small county tax (under $200) but I've heard that using your credit card to pay taxes sends a red flag.

 

Does anyone know if this is true?

 

I would like to start using my rewards card to pay for things and the AMEX card is the first to come, however, I dont want to get put on their radar!


The rumors weren't about taxes, a fixed expense, and is probably considered a good thing,  it was about paying lawyers. Because its a sign of bad things to come. Divorce, Lawsuits, Bankruptcy, etc.  things that make creditors see you as a risk, AMEX is apparently very picky about those type of charges and want to find out what is going on and likes to F/R people because of those charges. 

 

 

 

 


Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Freedom 6.6k & Amtrak 4.6k, FNBO DISC 14.9k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 6k & Zync NPSL, Sally Mae5k Sams Club MC 10k, Paypal Extras MC 6k, CapOne QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 3.9k, Walmart 4.5k, Citi Simplicity 7k, HHonors Gold 1k (moved 5k CL to Simplicity), Discover IT 6.5k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP 12/15/2014
Established Contributor
snowkitty
Posts: 985
Registered: ‎09-10-2012
0

Re: Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?

I don't know if this is something you want to do but I was approved for the paypal company bill me later credit line and I saw an option on there to pay taxes online. I'm new to this but thought I'd add my 2 cents
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
New Contributor
ComputerWizMaster
Posts: 76
Registered: ‎05-26-2011
0

Re: Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?

I would charge it without hessitation. There are no published rules on what causes a FR from Amex and only speculation based on a handful of experiences. Even outside of the risk of a FR any card can be closed at anytime with no reason given. With that in mind I keep a stable set block of cards I use without worry.

 

The Amex FR only seems to be a worry to me if you lied on your application to them by overstating your income.

Feb. 2012: TU: 677 EQ: 647 EX: 666
Aug. 2013: TU: 729 EQ: 726 EX: 697
Goal 2013+: 720+ All Three
Valued Contributor
Jazzzy
Posts: 2,679
Registered: ‎07-29-2009
0

Re: Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?

The only reason we don't pay our $5k county real estate taxes each year on a credit card is that the county charges a 3% "convenience fee" to do so. Otherwise we'd do it in a heartbeat.

Contributor
firesoul453
Posts: 150
Registered: ‎08-24-2012
0

Re: Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?


Jazzzy wrote:

The only reason we don't pay our $5k county real estate taxes each year on a credit card is that the county charges a 3% "convenience fee" to do so. Otherwise we'd do it in a heartbeat.


I hate those fees... I really wanted to pay my 2k college tuition (remainder after loan and scholarships) with a card, but earning 1% cash back definefly doesn't make up for 

their 2.5% fee...

I can understand why, buts its dissapointing.

 

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Regular Contributor
charyot77
Posts: 237
Registered: ‎06-21-2010
0

Re: Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?


ComputerWizMaster wrote:

I would charge it without hessitation. There are no published rules on what causes a FR from Amex and only speculation based on a handful of experiences. Even outside of the risk of a FR any card can be closed at anytime with no reason given. With that in mind I keep a stable set block of cards I use without worry.

 

The Amex FR only seems to be a worry to me if you lied on your application to them by overstating your income.


the Amex FR is a worry to me because I work abroad.  Getting documents together is a pain because there is no one at home who can really do it for me. I also get my mail sent to me periodically, so unless the FR letter is sent by electronic correspondence I would have no idea it's happening.


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}