cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?

Regular Contributor

Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?

I'm helping a relative who's behind on bills pay a small county tax (under $200) but I've heard that using your credit card to pay taxes sends a red flag.

 

Does anyone know if this is true?

 

I would like to start using my rewards card to pay for things and the AMEX card is the first to come, however, I dont want to get put on their radar!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?

I pay property taxes, state sales tax, business taxes, etc. on CC about half the time. Recent charges of about $3K and $4K. Never had an issue.

 

I might wonder about Amex though. I can't recall using Amex for those since I don't think any of them accept Amex.

Message 2 of 9
Valued Contributor

Re: Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?

Ditto to GregB.

Message 3 of 9
Valued Contributor

Re: Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?


charyot77 wrote:

I'm helping a relative who's behind on bills pay a small county tax (under $200) but I've heard that using your credit card to pay taxes sends a red flag.

 

Does anyone know if this is true?

 

I would like to start using my rewards card to pay for things and the AMEX card is the first to come, however, I dont want to get put on their radar!


The rumors weren't about taxes, a fixed expense, and is probably considered a good thing,  it was about paying lawyers. Because its a sign of bad things to come. Divorce, Lawsuits, Bankruptcy, etc.  things that make creditors see you as a risk, AMEX is apparently very picky about those type of charges and want to find out what is going on and likes to F/R people because of those charges. 

 

 

 

 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 10k & CSP 10k & Freedom 6.6k & Amtrak/Freedom 4.6k, FNBO DISC 25.1k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 6k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 10k, Paypal Extras MC 7.5k, CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 5.9k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 9k, Discover IT 16k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP/HP 5/15/2017 Marcus Loan. 30k
Message 4 of 9
Established Contributor

Re: Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?

I don't know if this is something you want to do but I was approved for the paypal company bill me later credit line and I saw an option on there to pay taxes online. I'm new to this but thought I'd add my 2 cents
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 5 of 9
New Contributor

Re: Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?

I would charge it without hessitation. There are no published rules on what causes a FR from Amex and only speculation based on a handful of experiences. Even outside of the risk of a FR any card can be closed at anytime with no reason given. With that in mind I keep a stable set block of cards I use without worry.

 

The Amex FR only seems to be a worry to me if you lied on your application to them by overstating your income.

Feb. 2012: TU: 677 EQ: 647 EX: 666
Aug. 2013: TU: 729 EQ: 726 EX: 697
Goal 2013+: 720+ All Three
Message 6 of 9
Valued Contributor

Re: Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?

The only reason we don't pay our $5k county real estate taxes each year on a credit card is that the county charges a 3% "convenience fee" to do so. Otherwise we'd do it in a heartbeat.

Message 7 of 9
Contributor

Re: Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?


Jazzzy wrote:

The only reason we don't pay our $5k county real estate taxes each year on a credit card is that the county charges a 3% "convenience fee" to do so. Otherwise we'd do it in a heartbeat.


I hate those fees... I really wanted to pay my 2k college tuition (remainder after loan and scholarships) with a card, but earning 1% cash back definefly doesn't make up for 

their 2.5% fee...

I can understand why, buts its dissapointing.

 

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 8 of 9
Regular Contributor

Re: Willing paying a county tax with credit card send a red flag?


ComputerWizMaster wrote:

I would charge it without hessitation. There are no published rules on what causes a FR from Amex and only speculation based on a handful of experiences. Even outside of the risk of a FR any card can be closed at anytime with no reason given. With that in mind I keep a stable set block of cards I use without worry.

 

The Amex FR only seems to be a worry to me if you lied on your application to them by overstating your income.


the Amex FR is a worry to me because I work abroad.  Getting documents together is a pain because there is no one at home who can really do it for me. I also get my mail sent to me periodically, so unless the FR letter is sent by electronic correspondence I would have no idea it's happening.

Message 9 of 9