Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winning Amex probation...

tag
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Winning Amex probation...

So apparently the new cards with credit steps from Amex are like probation, awesome. Advice on winning? I normally use cards hard and make multiple payments ending with PIF. I don't know that Amex will appreciate this if I'm in on "special conditions".
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Winning Amex probation...

My advice may be cleaning up credit report, negotiate PFDs with collection companies and find appropriate ways to get negative items removed from your reports (which can require a lot of communication between you and your creditors), or at least let negatives age or fall off. Other than that, the general ways of getting a good credit score - keep a good payment history, maintain low utilization, don't apply for too many new accounts at once, etc.

Message 2 of 29
Caught750
Valued Contributor

I understand how scores work... I'm asking a very specific question about a specific company that has already approved me.

I can't pfd things that are already paid when they adamly refused PFD. My options are goodwill letters at this point.

Im looking specifically for insight into Amex.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 3 of 29
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Amex credit steps requires you to carry a balance ( keep it small ) and make regular monthy payments. Doing this will lead to faster initial CLI. If you do not do this, your initial CLI could be delayed by 6 months or more

I have no idea what reply #2 is in relation to your question

Good luck

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 4 of 29
Caught750
Valued Contributor

So let $25 report on statement and pay off $20? Will multiple monthly payments throw this off? If I only let $25 report the minimum payment would probably be $25 and I'd be screwed? If I only make the minimum payment it looks bad... If I hafta report high uti, it looks bad...
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 5 of 29
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Chasing750, i believe first poster to respond was just trying to give good general advice in regards perhaps to someone who is in " credit steps" which normally infers a person may have a few issues with their current credit profile.

Amex has this new credit steps program but to me its not as defined or established as say Capitol One's. Obviously leaving a balance may help get an increase after 6 months but ive also read some that still did not get one.

My personal opinion... with Amex just use it normal and pay it normal, pif works for me. In reality you want to establish a history with Amex and show you can be responsible with the limit given. As you show good usage and payments, the door will open eventually for more credit and other credit opportunities. Just a humble opinion from an average joeSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 29
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Thanks average Joe, so don't crazy like some of us tend to do and max, rinse, repeat multiple times a month? Charge it to 250 pay it down before statement and then PIF?
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 7 of 29
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sounds good. I mean , if you mean to have a long term relationship with them why rush it. Dont make yourself cazy thinking you gotta put 2k on a $500 limit , just i.e, to show them you need more. I think just using it and paying will do the trick.

Of course i may be wrong but just a gut feeling. I hope someone with more experience with their credit steps can chime in so you can get a jist of their experienceSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 29
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Yea so do I. At this point like they want profitable use not necessarily responsible use. To me responsible is PIF regardless of how much you run through it...
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 9 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

The Amex credit steps simply requires a statement balance to report - IOW, don't let it report zero. You can pay it down before your statement to control util, then PIF the day after it reports or before the due date. So you dont need to carry a balance, just report a balance. The statement balance can be $5 if you want, so long as it reports something on the first 5 statements. An auto CLI is granted after the 6th statement's payment is received.

I've read where others have cycled their limits - ran it up, paid it off, ran it up - within one billing cycle and it had no effect on getting the auto cli.

Some have also been lucky in requesting a cli at 61 days, despite the credit steps language at approval.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.