cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wise to get a third card within a month?

tag
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Re: Wise to get a third card within a month?

@Anonymous wrote:

Happy:  I hope you'll tell us how the F/R with Amex goes when you get it in the mail.  I really don't think we're fooling the CCCs playing one CRA against another.  Getting an approved CC with a CL is no longer the "home free" ticket for life that it used to be.   What would Barclays do if they discovered a month later two other apps days from granting credit themselves?  Or Chase may pc you from Sapphire to Slate in six months.  I think you're taking an unnecessary risk but then that's just me.

This is just my .02 but if you have excellent credit, you have nothing to worry about. The ppl that have never defaulted, no derogs, always pay more than the minimum and using their UTIL less than 25% shows the CCC they are stable in terms of credit management. The risky borrowers should fear the banks, not the stable borrowers who has a clean slate on their CRs.

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would you say a stable borrower all of a sudden applies for three new credit cards in a week?   IMHO, a stable borrower is what you described and one who does not apply for a new credit card except maybe once every year (or two) but certainly not three new ones at the same time.

Message 12 of 25
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Would you say a stable borrower all of a sudden applies for three new credit cards in a week?   IMHO, a stable borrower is what you described and one who does not apply for a new credit card except maybe once every year (or two) but certainly not three new ones at the same time.

Not many application get approved for $10k from Chase....so yeah, I say he is a stable borrower. To get a Sapphire card, your looking at 740+ Fico or long AAoA with no negs, etc...This person's CRs speak for itself. It's not uncommon for a person to sit dormit for 1-2 yrs than apped for 3-4 cards in 1 month. Esp...someone with excellent credit history.

Message 13 of 25
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The miles collecting crowd does this over and over and over again.  Shooting for 3-4 inquiries per credit bureau every 6 months is fairly middle of the pack for them.  If OP has solid profile, I doubt there will be a problem.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 25
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase,Amex = EX

Discover = EQ

INQs on EX will not show when Discover check EQ = no rejection due to excessive INQs

Do both new accounts appear on credit report already? If they don't, apply now.

For DW and I, Chase pulled EQ and EX for apps, and EQ for CLI requests.

Message 15 of 25
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Isn't that normal for a myfico poster? Smiley Very Happy

There's always some risk in making multiple credit moves at one time. If you have a decent score, no recent derogs and your balances are not pyramiding you should be fine.

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the feedback and to dp321 for the CR links, but I decided to wait awhile before I attempt a third card. I did however check my EQ score and saw I had a 745!

tntexens72 has the gist of it with being dormant for a long period, I opened my first bank account with BofA nearly 5 years ago and I've been using the Platinum Plus card they issued me exclusively this whole time. I was pretty much apathetic to the credit game, until last month when I saw my score at CK and opened up some credit card mailings for the first time. I guess you could say I'm in a frenzy now to get the best cards available and to make use of some of the awesome rewards programs.

Message 17 of 25
JonStur
Established Contributor

Congrats and good for you..I would also decide what's important to you. Cash back for groceries, for fuel purchases, shopping rewards, points for airline miles used etc. and google it ( i.e. best grocery cash back credit card), this way can decide on a good mix of CCs specifically taylored to your spending habits..just a thought..

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 18 of 25
dp321
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback and to dp321 for the CR links, but I decided to wait awhile before I attempt a third card. I did however check my EQ score and saw I had a 745!

tntexens72 has the gist of it with being dormant for a long period, I opened my first bank account with BofA nearly 5 years ago and I've been using the Platinum Plus card they issued me exclusively this whole time. I was pretty much apathetic to the credit game, until last month when I saw my score at CK and opened up some credit card mailings for the first time. I guess you could say I'm in a frenzy now to get the best cards available and to make use of some of the awesome rewards programs.

I have been using the BofA Platinum plus for little over two year, it's now my ticket to free checking. Consider product change it to a cash back card though, I will when I run out with my promotional offer with Citi.

Starting Score: EQ: 703 (4/2011);
Current Score: EQ: 738 (04/2013)

Goal Score: ALL 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 25
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Having great credit will allow you to take benefit of these rewards. I have 3 cards I used on a reg basis for groceries, gas, dinning, hotels/flyer miles. Trust me when I tell you this but a Fico of 745??? These banks want your business!!

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.