Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wish I could Ax FP

tag
frio
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wish I could Ax FP

@pizzadude wrote:
Closing CCs won't hurt your AAoA ~ closed cards report For 10 years from the date closed and are counted in AAoA just like open cards.

The main issue with closing CCs is utilization, as you described above. Perhaps you could get a CLI from NFCU to offset closing one of the FP cards. Their fees are exorbitant and I would try to get rid of them as soon as you can.

They gave me a 1k cli for some reason last month went from 6k to 7k.  Ive never been late with them or anything.  Im guessing they did the hight Util% on the card had something to do with the small CLI

Starting Score: 589 / TU: 600
Current Score: 696 / TU: 696
Goal Score: 700 / TU: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 35
frio
Frequent Contributor

@tonyaether wrote:

You can most certainly report zero but it takes effort.  What they do is add your monthly fee when the statement drops so you can't pay it in advance online.  However, if you push a payment through your bank or pay by check when your account is on zero before the statement drops, you can report zero.  Believe me, I know.  I called and was told the same thing before.  That worked for me for 6 months until I gave them the axe about a week ago.

Im not sure what you mean by " However, if you push a payment through your bank or pay by check when your account is on zero before the statement drops, you can report zero" ????

Message 12 of 35
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

Doesn't the OP want to axe both FP cards or just one?

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 35
FrugalRican
Blogger

@tonyaether wrote:

He's worried about the AAOA.

I was just trying to give an example of what closing at least one would do, which is virtually nothing. The difference between 66 and 68% is negligible.

I'd be a LOT more worried about the NFCU utilization than the FP closings, by far.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 14 of 35
frio
Frequent Contributor

@tonyaether wrote:

I would love to axe one or both if I could.  Again im just worried because Im trying to push my score to 700 or past as fast as I can.  And with a score of 681 and having the Util% I have now im guessing that would be a great way to boost scores incase we try and purchace a home, as well as get rid of FP

Message 15 of 35
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

This is the only way I could report zero....

My payment was due on the 16th.  My statement dropped on the 19th or 20th.  I would have to either mail a check on or around the 10th or use the bill pay system through my bank to report a negative balance of the monthly fee (at the time $6) until the statement dropped.  When the statement dropped and they kicked in the monthly (edited) fee it cancelled out the credit and reported zero.  That is the only way it worked.  Otherwise they reported the balance every month when the statement dropped.  They will not allow you to prepay electronically through their system or by phone.

***Basically you have to pay the fee in advance by check or through your checking account's bill pay.  It will show as a credit on your FP card until they apply that monthly fee at statement closing***

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Message 16 of 35
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@tonyaether wrote:

He's worried about the AAOA.

I was just trying to give an example of what closing at least one would do, which is virtually nothing. The difference between 66 and 68% is negligible.

I'd be a LOT more worried about the NFCU utilization than the FP closings, by far.

Ah ok....I gotcha.  I think you're right on the other balance. It may pay to reduce the NFCU account first.

Message 17 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@frio wrote:

@tonyaether wrote:

I would love to axe one or both if I could.  Again im just worried because Im trying to push my score to 700 or past as fast as I can.  And with a score of 681 and having the Util% I have now im guessing that would be a great way to boost scores incase we try and purchace a home, as well as get rid of FP

Axe them both.  Take the fees you were paying them and apply them to NFCU.  Your util difference is negligible, your AAoA will remain exactly the same.

Message 18 of 35
FrugalRican
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:

Axe them both.  Take the fees you were paying them and apply them to NFCU.  Your util difference is negligible, your AAoA will remain exactly the same.

Bingo.

That NFCU needs to go down ASAP.

I'd be throwing whatever I could at that beast.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 19 of 35
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

I hate them too. They got me with the 7.00 fee as well. I didnt pay it and they harrassed me like hell. i totally forgot as i didnt use the card and thought my balance was zero....

I am going to drop them like a bad habit....eff them and their monthly fees. I just got a BofA credit card with a 900.00 limit plus 3 cap1's with 500.00

They are not the only ones getting AX'd

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.