Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With Amazon buying Whole Foods....

tag
jdxprs1
Frequent Contributor

Re: With Amazon buying Whole Foods....

Amex bcp does 6% so I don't think it's out of the question.
Last app 1/2/2017.
In the garden until at least 6/2/2017.
Message 11 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

I believe the Amazon/Whole Foods profit margin discussion is a mute point. 

As I understand it, lthe cash back bonus is issued by the bank offering the credit card, in this case Chase, and NOT the retailer.  

The retailer could care less if you use an Amazon Visa or a Cap1 Venture to pay for your goods and services.  

While that's true, when you use a retailer's own card in their own store, they likely get a break on the swipe fees, maybe a big one. When Amazon negotiated with Synchrony and Chase, or when Costco negotiated with CITI, or Target with TD, they likely demanded a big share of the swipe fees from their own store (and maybe even others) in exchange for giving the issuer their store's business. 

Message 12 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

My guess would be no for a few reasons. First, you already can't use the Amazon store card on some of the other sites that Amazon owns so it's doubtful you would be able to use it at WF.

Second, since the Amazon Visa by Chase already offers 2% at grocery stores, drugstores, etc, I really can't see them upping that to 5%. I think the only way possible to get it would be if you order online for store pickup or for delivery.

Message 13 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gail - Maybe not 5% but maybe 3%.
Message 14 of 52
iced
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@cjesser15 wrote:
Is there any chance the Chase Amazon Prime card will be able to get 5% back in Whole Foods Stores? Or is that wishful thinking? Thanks in advance.

That was one of my first thoughts too!   But like others have said, probably unlikely except for the model of order on line and pick up at a store.

Many of the analysts seem to think that Amazon will get WF prices to drop to increase market share, so there will be some gain there.

I would love to see a price drop though I'm not sure they can lower prices much. They're already competitively priced with the other local grocery stores as it is (here anyway) so there can't be that much wiggle room unless Amazon is willing to take a loss in exchange for market share (which is possible).

Message 15 of 52
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@iced wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@cjesser15 wrote:
Is there any chance the Chase Amazon Prime card will be able to get 5% back in Whole Foods Stores? Or is that wishful thinking? Thanks in advance.

That was one of my first thoughts too!   But like others have said, probably unlikely except for the model of order on line and pick up at a store.

Many of the analysts seem to think that Amazon will get WF prices to drop to increase market share, so there will be some gain there.

I would love to see a price drop though I'm not sure they can lower prices much. They're already competitively priced with the other local grocery stores as it is (here anyway) so there can't be that much wiggle room unless Amazon is willing to take a loss in exchange for market share (which is possible).

Not in my area. Whole foods is too pricey for me.. I prefer Walmart, and Fry's (Krogers) better anyway..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 16 of 52
cjesser15
Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

@iced wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@cjesser15 wrote:

Not in my area. Whole foods is too pricey for me.. I prefer Walmart, and Fry's (Krogers) better anyway..

Definitely not in my area either (midwest).  Whole Foods is very pricey compared to other options.  That being said, there are certain things I would like to buy there (such as produce).  If they're able to offer a decent return with the credit card and/or drive prices down a little bit, it may make WF a place I'm willing to stop into on occasion.  

Message 17 of 52
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@cjesser15 wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

@iced wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@cjesser15 wrote:

Definitely not in my area either (midwest).  Whole Foods is very pricey compared to other options.  That being said, there are certain things I would like to buy there (such as produce).  If they're able to offer a decent return with the credit card and/or drive prices down a little bit, it may make WF a place I'm willing to stop into on occasion.  

I'm the same, produce. But Walmart and Fry's are about 3 miles away. Whole Foods is like 20-25. That's a bit far for me..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 18 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ K-in-Boston
I'm really amazed to learnt about your 400K+ credit limits. I was if you could share few high limit card details.
Thanks
I tried sending u a pM but it didn't let me, sorry to everyone for going off the topic.
Message 19 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchblue wrote:

@cjesser15 wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

@iced wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@cjesser15 wrote:

I'm the same, produce. But Walmart and Fry's are about 3 miles away. Whole Foods is like 20-25. That's a bit far for me..

Same here. The only Whole Foods I personally know of is at least 20 miles away from my apartment, whereas Walmart, Food Lion, Aldi, Shopper's, Giant and Costco are all within a mile and Harris Teeter and Safeway are about 15 minutes away, as are several Latino and Asian groceries. Several of those stores have substantial "healthy eating" sections, so I have no good reason to spend an hour or more navigating heavy traffic just to get groceries.

Message 20 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.