cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With all the rewards cards out there, why keep store cards?

tag
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

With all the rewards cards out there, why keep store cards?

I've been rebuilding my credit with small limit store cards. Now I have a few rewards cards and find the store cards useless. The only ones I would keep are the Walmart one for the FICO score, maybe the Target card for the 5% discount. I don't really shop at the other stores where I have cards - maybe just for the holidays. I haven't closed them because of utilization. I'm maxed out with Chase Slate because of BTs (and shopping to fill my house).

I still have a lot more to buy, so I'm going to have plenty of use with the rewards cards. I will probably leave some balances just because I honestly don't have a lot of money to pay in full for furniture and household stuff. I have no plans in the near future to apply for any credit, so I feel that for now, I can spend for the house and just work on paying the balances down.

Does this sound like a good plan? I'm gardening for at least the next 2 years, until my inquiries falls off. Just saw that I have 30+ on my EQ. Lol! But I have the cards I want for now, so the itch is gone. Just going to work on CLIs.

I've also read that "account closed by consumer" looks better than "account closed by credit grantor." Any truth to this? Or is it just pride? A part of me just wants to get rid of the store cards now. I want to clean my siggy! Smiley Wink

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: With all the rewards cards out there, why keep store cards?

No particular reason.  Some store cards have some advantages that outweigh any credit card's rewards such as that target card.  I lot of people get the store cards from promo offer, such as 0% rates, at time of purchase.

Closed by creditor or closed by consumer makes NO DIFFERENCE to credit score.  It is not a negative either way.  However, you could argue that it looks better for consumer to close under human review, but I don't think so.  Lots of neutral reasons cards get closed by card issuers such as non use.

Personally, I would keep any store cards I had that have no fees.  I took the inquiry to get them so might as well get as much mileage out of card as possible.  The available balance counts towards utilization calculations.  And AAoA continues to build while I have card.  If they start slashing limits on card, I might cancel as it likely will soon be canceled and I personally like a card showing high limits even closed, but I don't have any reason to think it makes any difference.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 7
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

For me, the usefulness of store cards comes down to how often I shop at that particular store.  I have a few that I will probably always keep. If they are important to your utilization at this point, then I would keep them open until the time comes when cancelling them wont be harmful.  There are a lot of people that say never cancel a card that has no annual fee, but I personally think the hassle isnt really worth it.  I prefer to close cards myself and I think it really is about pride. Having them closed due to inactivity makes no difference from a scoring standpoint and I doubt even from the perspective of a manual review.  Its mostly about me being petty and not wanting to feel rejected.  Lol. 

Message 3 of 7
Startome
Regular Contributor

Seeing closed by creditor really can make a lender wonder why it was closed, and be suspicious. But honestly I wouldn't say it noticeably effects your chances.

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 4 of 7
parakleet
Valued Contributor

It really depends on the usefulness of a particular store card. For example, my GAP card offers frequent coupons that makes it worthwhile to keep. But my JCrew card hardly ever has any bonus perks that I find worth it so I really don't have a need for that card. I haven't closed it since I can't be bothered with it and there's no cost to keep it open at the moment.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 5 of 7
sccredit
Valued Contributor

I keep my Home Depot card for 0% offers, Lowe's for finance offers or the 5% discount.  DW keeps the Kohls card because of discounts.  Those are the only store cards we have anymore.

Message 6 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

@Startome wrote:

Seeing closed by creditor really can make a lender wonder why it was closed, and be suspicious. But honestly I wouldn't say it noticeably effects your chances.

I wouldn't really worry about what the credit report says. I have cards I closed and it was reported incorrectly as closed by lender, so credit reports don't tend to be all that reliable when it comes to who closed what. As mentioned before cards can be closed by the lender for all sorts of neutral reasons. The reality is that the lender will see the payment history on the card and whether or not there were high balances/ late payments and therefore know if there was a problem. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.