cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With the changed to Delta Skymiles program looming...What's the best airline credit card?

tag
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

With the changed to Delta Skymiles program looming...What's the best airline credit card?

Looks like Delta is making changes to their skymiles program in 2015 and i'm not planning on sticking with them. I'll be dumping my Gold Delta card in Jan. What's the best airline card you're using right now? Where do you get maximum value for your points? Please don't hesitate to elaborate.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: With the changed to Delta Skymiles program looming...What's the best airline credit card?

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Looks like Delta is making changed to their skymiles program in 2015 and i'm not planning on sticking with them. I'll be dumping my Gold Delta card in Jan. What's the best airline card you're using right now? Where do you get maximum value for your points? Please do hesitate to elaborate.

I like spg, mr, and UR based cards because of the flexibility of different partners. With that being said i am currently using combo of EDP, CSP, and Ink Plus for all spending. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: With the changed to Delta Skymiles program looming...What's the best airline credit card?

I've earned around 400k AAdvantage miles so far this year through the various Citi programs.  I think the partner redemptiom value is underrated, but there is a good chance it will devalue in 2015.  Alaska miles are valuable too (not as good as AA partner rewards).

Message 3 of 15
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Looks like Delta is making changed to their skymiles program in 2015 and i'm not planning on sticking with them. I'll be dumping my Gold Delta card in Jan. What's the best airline card you're using right now? Where do you get maximum value for your points? Please do hesitate to elaborate.

I like spg, mr, and UR based cards because of the flexibility of different partners. With that being said i am currently using combo of EDP, CSP, and Ink Plus for all spending. 

I was also thinking about sticking to SPG, MR and UR cards instead of an airline card, but i like Delta's pay with points feature. It's only offer if you have the credit card. Looks like its going to be offered next year, regardless of if you have the card or not.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Message 4 of 15
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:

I've earned around 400k AAdvantage miles so far this year through the various Citi programs.  I think the partner redemptiom value is underrated, but there is a good chance it will devalue in 2015.  Alaska miles are valuable too (not as good as AA partner rewards).

Thats a lot of points!!

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Membersince2013 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Thats a lot of points!!

Why yes it is.

Message 6 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

I was also thinking about sticking to SPG, MR and UR cards instead of an airline card, but i like Delta's pay with points feature. It's only offer if you have the credit card. Looks like its going to be offered next year, regardless of if you have the card or not.

Delta also changed the SkyMiles program for 2014, but those changes are related to earning Silver/Gold etc medallion status. I don't get to those levels anyway except in a rare year. I'm keeping my card because the basic features are ones that give me a bit of a boost: early boarding, access to the lounge at half-fee, and other little perks. If you fly Delta regularly, I think it's a good card to have.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 15
jsucool76
Super Contributor

All about that southwest companion pass.

That will be my next endeavor...Get it in jan 2015...expires december 2016 Smiley Very Happy 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

That will be my next endeavor...Get it in jan 2015...expires december 2016 Smiley Very Happy 

You need to spend a LOT of money to get a companion pass w/SWA. Isn't it $110,000?

Message 9 of 15
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

You need to spend a LOT of money to get a companion pass w/SWA. Isn't it $110,000?

110,000 points. AKA signup bonuses for daysss 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.