Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With with the Yuppies and credit cards?

tag
clipperskipper
Regular Contributor

With with the Yuppies and credit cards?

What is it with people and credit cards, Yupporamma! Spend, spend, spend. I am referring to my Sister no doubt who filed less than

six months ago, Sunday I gave her $340 for heating oil. This is the fifth time I have seen her in financial ruins. She makes $65000/year, plus gets

$800/mo from her ex with an 18 year old at home, and she spends that to. She has no clue how to save, she's already maxed out whatever

plastic the trustee left her with. Now she complains about gas money, and owns a Prius and can't afford the premiums or payments. What

to do?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: With with the Yuppies and credit cards?

@clipperskipper wrote:

What is it with people and credit cards, Yupporamma! Spend, spend, spend. I am referring to my Sister no doubt who filed less than

six months ago, Sunday I gave her $340 for heating oil. This is the fifth time I have seen her in financial ruins. She makes $65000/year, plus gets

$800/mo from her ex with an 18 year old at home, and she spends that to. She has no clue how to save, she's already maxed out whatever

plastic the trustee left her with. Now she complains about gas money, and owns a Prius and can't afford the premiums or payments. What

to do?

Unfortunately nothing. She's an adult who has to sink or swim from her own decisions. We probably all have a family member just like your sister.

I feel sorry for her child though. He/she is getting a terrible example of money management.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Unfortunately nothing. She's an adult who has to sink or swim from her own decisions. We probably all have a family member just like your sister.

I feel sorry for her child though. He/she is getting a terrible example of money management.

Yeppers.

Good thing her child has clipperskipper!  Not all our role models have to be parents.  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 16
motiv8ed2getthescoreup
Regular Contributor

I completely understand. My sister is just as bad, probably worse. Right now the family is collectively letting her CRASH and BURN, after years of bailing her out. Sometimes it's the best way. Luckily the kids have the rest of the family for financial guidance.

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: TU 764 EQ 721 EX 768
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 16
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Not sure how the yuppies reference fit into your scenario, however, I can somewhat relate with my brother. If your sister is hitting the 5th time doing this, it might be time to let her hit rock bottom with no one bailing her out this time. She won't learn to get herself out if people keep "rescuing" her. How else will she learn? Just my .02...although Suze Orman might agree with me. Smiley Wink
11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 5 of 16
laz98
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@clipperskipper wrote:

to do?

Stop helping her.  I know it sucks, but you are making it easier for her to avoid taking responsibility for her financial situation.  I have a younger sister who is like that too, just spends spends spends.  You know what happened to her?   She found herself pregnant in a homeless shelter because she was too busy partying to pay any bills.  She is very lucky that my brother took her in out of compassion for the baby.  At least your sister makes enough money to provide for herself & her now-an-adult kid.  My sister was only making $12,000 a year, maybe, & so she had it tight to begin with.  Still didn't learn.  She's been that way her whole life.

Message 6 of 16
laz98
Senior Contributor

geez, i must type like an old lady, how did all of you get your posts in before me!  there was only one post when i started!!!  Smiley Surprised

Message 7 of 16
motiv8ed2getthescoreup
Regular Contributor

LOL

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: TU 764 EQ 721 EX 768
Goal Score: 800

Message 8 of 16
mauve
Valued Contributor

real-time chat has honed my typing speed - perhaps you just need to spend more time "improving your speed" online!

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP obviously struck a chord with a bunch of us folks who responded with knee-jerk speed.  Smiley Surprised

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.