Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Woah Chase!

tag
willwar14
Valued Contributor

Woah Chase!

I know my dad had this coming so please refrain from rude comments. 

About 3 weeks ago my dad put in apps for AARP + Ritz, was 2 weeks message for about 2 weeks then went to 7-10 day message, he recieved 2 letters in the mail saying to call lending to verify his fraud alert. He did and they said they sent them for final review. Was holding 2 weeks message until today, he decided to call in and ask for a status update on AARP.

Well he recieved one alright, he called lending and the frontline CA denied him on the spot citing "Too many new accounts opened in the last 24 months" (he is well over 5/24, 16/24 to be exact) needless to say he will not call in for his Ritz app, and just let it play itself out. They pulled experian at a 811, depending on what happens with his ritz app in the next few weeks he might try and recon AARP but, its moot now since the credit lines they dish out on that card are low-ish. His Ritz app is holding at 2 weeks message, and AARP went to 7-10 day message after the call.

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Woah Chase!

Thanks for the info. Best of luck to DD, let us know how it goes.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 25
yfan
Valued Contributor

Can I ask why he applied, wrt the 5/24 rule? Was he unaware of the 5/24 rule or did he just want to test it?

Message 3 of 25
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Reconing wold be a bad idea very bad idea imo for your dad if he is declined for other card..  The amount of credit he has picked up recently as you are aware is very scary for any lender to see.. If you get an UW in a bad mood he can say bye to his other Chase cards as well.. Just food for thought.

Message 4 of 25
willwar14
Valued Contributor

@yfan wrote:

Can I ask why he applied, wrt the 5/24 rule? Was he unaware of the 5/24 rule or did he just want to test it?

The 5/24 rule appearently doesn't apply to Ritz and AARP, I think lending will deny someone for 5/24 if you speak with them, rather if you just let the app play itself out you can bypass it.

Message 5 of 25
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@yfan wrote:

The 5/24 did not always apply to co branded chase cards. Now that it is affecting co branded cards, there is some mystery as to which co branded cards are indeed affected by 5/24. Since Chase doesn't just come out and say which cards, we have to rely on data points from threads like this. So in fairness, I'm sure he applied not knowing the cards were affected by 5/24 and the jury is still out on Ritz in this case. 

Message 6 of 25
willwar14
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Reconing wold be a bad idea very bad idea imo for your dad if he is declined for other card..  The amount of credit he has picked up recently as you are aware is very scary for any lender to see.. If you get an UW in a bad mood he can sasy by to his other Chase cards as well.. Just food for thought.

You are 100% right, im thinking the AARP denial might be a blessing in disguise and a warning to slow the **bleep** down, before AA is taken. This is actually his first denial, he just picked up another 3 Amex cards and a 5/3rd card.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definately don't call for the other card and just let it play out. Keep us posted on final results should he get an update.  Will keep fingers crossed for him and hope Chase comes through for him.

Message 8 of 25
MTSN
Regular Contributor

I have to ask - what in the heck is he doing getting 19 new cards in 24 months and counting?! Seems extremely reckless and risky to me. 

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@willwar14 wrote:

I know my dad had this coming so please refrain from rude comments. 

About 3 weeks ago my dad put in apps for AARP + Ritz, was 2 weeks message for about 2 weeks then went to 7-10 day message, he recieved 2 letters in the mail saying to call lending to verify his fraud alert. He did and they said they sent them for final review. Was holding 2 weeks message until today, he decided to call in and ask for a status update on AARP.

Well he recieved one alright, he called lending and the frontline CA denied him on the spot citing "Too many new accounts opened in the last 24 months" (he is well over 5/24, 16/24 to be exact) needless to say he will not call in for his Ritz app, and just let it play itself out. They pulled experian at a 811, depending on what happens with his ritz app in the next few weeks he might try and recon AARP but, its moot now since the credit lines they dish out on that card are low-ish. His Ritz app is holding at 2 weeks message, and AARP went to 7-10 day message after the call.

Yikes.... 

At least there is an adult in the house

YOU☺

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.