Valued Member
txbradybunch

Wondering how utilization percentage is calculated for fico scores?

This is going to sound silly - but as a "financial type" I understand that the method can affect the outcome......

I have been working at paying down a bunch of cards that I maxed out when I relocated last year - it has been TOUGH seeing as though I am still paying two house payments! 

So - do they take your total outstanding balances/total available credit to determine utilization? 

8500/19900 =42.7%

Or - do they look at each card individually and average together.... such as:

Home Depot 0% $0/500

Capital One 4% $20/500

Capital One 0% $0/500

Barclays 7.7% $348/4500

and then average all of them together.....?

By my calculations - it would make a small - but positive difference in my utilization to have my 0% to divide by.....

Whereby it might be of value to both my fico score and $$$$ to transfer a balance from a high interest rate 44% utilized card to a low balance transfer interest rate on another card that has 8% utilized?  (I could transfer balances from 2 cards that are high interest rates (20%'s range) to a 3.99% offer on on card - getting two more 0% utilization cards and one now at 65% istead of 8% AND the added benefit of the lower interest rate so I can pay off the balance sooner with less overall interest expense.

Clear as mud?

Established Contributor
KingAdrock

Re: Wondering how utilization percentage is calculated for fico scores?

Both your overall util% and the util% on each account are considered into your score. To use your example:

Home Depot $0/500 0%

Capital One $20/500 4%

Capital One $0/500 0%

Barclays $348/4500 7.7%

So overall 368/6000= 6.1% utilization.

For the highest possible FICO, you want more than half of your account to show a zero balance, and <10% util on each card with a balance, as well as <10% combined.

Moving a balance from a high interest rate to a low one is good for your wallet, but as far as whether or not a BT will affect your FICO positively, there's really no way to know unless we get more information. Does the card you're transfering to have a higher CL? What would the new util% be after the transfer?

Valued Contributor
GregB

Re: Wondering how utilization percentage is calculated for fico scores?

That won't work directly. You must pay off the 8% utilized card so the balance is zero. Otherwise when you do the BT at 3.99% all of your payments will go to the 3.99% balance. You will pay the full interest on your existing balance until the very end.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}