Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wondering what my sister's credit score is

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wondering what my sister's credit score is

My sister's 21 turning 22 in December. She wants a credit card now and I'm going to lead her through the hoops, but she doesn't know where to start.

I can't give her typical first timer credit card advice because she actually does have credit. In August '07 she co-signed with my Dad (who actually has a fair credit, bankruptcy probably 5 years back) to buy an '07 Camry. Every payment has been made on time.

She plans to pay it off every month so I think she'd benefit from a Chase Freedom card, but I don't know if she'd be accepted. I just want to know if it's realistic for her to go for one. I'd hate to for her to get rejected multiple times before realizing that she doesn't have the credit level for it. She's one of the most responsible people I know, so I'm sure she's not a credit risk at all.

What do you folks suggest?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Wondering what my sister's credit score is

I would go with the Chase, with the car giving her credit, she should get approved.
try BofA pre approval and see if they offer her something.
Message 2 of 7
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Has she pulled her FICO scores? How many credit cards does she presently have? Any old, bad accounts?

If she has a thin file, I woul steer her toward a credit union. Can you perhaps add your sister to one or two of your accounts as an authorized user to add some history?
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many big banks want 18 months of credit history before they will issue one of their better cards. She would definitely be able to pick up a credit card, but perhaps not the rewards card of her choice. I too suggest she try a few of the pre-approval sites and see if any good rewards cards pop up. If not she should be eligible for many in 5-6 months.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

This'll be her first card and she has never pulled her scores.

I might get her to go by the ways of a credit union, but I figure if you guys think she'll be qualified for the Freedom card, then why not?
Message 5 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Discover use to not mind being the first card someone got either.
My friend got one with a $3500 limit with only a car loan on his credit.
Message 6 of 7
jaybird201
Established Contributor

I'd go the credit union route. I doubt she'd get accepted for the Chase Freedom. In addition, hard inquries hurt more if you're new to credit, which wouldn't improve her odds of being approved were she to reapply for another card after being denied for the Chase Freedom.

I'd say have her pull her FICO scores first though. After that it's up to you as to whether or not to apply for Chase Freedom. If she gets denied, I'd say go with a credit union card or maybe a Discover card. If she's a full-time student, applying as a student improves your odds of being approved for the Discover. The only caveat is that the interest rate will be a bit higher. That shouldn't matter though if she plans to PIF each month.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.