cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Woo Hoo... USAA has been very good to me!

tag
stpn2me
Frequent Contributor

Re: Woo Hoo... USAA has been very good to me!

That's great. I just found out my score jumped 15+ points. Since I am deployed, I havent been able to use my credit as much and I decided to watch my score over this year. It appears all that stuff Tuscani is saying really does work, it just takes time. I had DPP (The military's version of a credit card). I had a $5000 limit and it was maxed for most of my military career. Since I have been here, I paid it down to about $900, and lo and behold! This month my score jumps 15 points. I have a USAA checking and savings, and plan on moving to the insurance when I get back to the world. I had a catostrophic accident on my record from six years ago (not my fault), but USAA is so tight, they still wouldnt take me and told me to wait the mandatory five years, which is up now. Good job and keep it up...

Stpn2me
TU - 673 EQ - 672 EX - 669 as of 13 Nov 2015
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you Navy?  My hubby is Navy... a submariner... he finally retires next year after 24 years... he's been working on his credit for the last 6 months and his score has gone up over 200 points... needless to say he's thrilled!

Jennifer Z
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats Smiley Tongue
I have USAA rewards card 3K limit and auto insurance. I will have to see about getting a CLI after a couple of months
Message Edited by BKed_Rebound on 03-03-2009 02:29 PM
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLI increased to 5000. USAA rocks....
Message Edited by BKed_Rebound on 03-03-2009 02:29 PM
Message 14 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Congrats, Rebound!

To anyone else reading this thread, it's really old. USAA has changed its membership eligibility, and it is now available to many former military who once didn't meet the criteria. There also seems to be a limited membership category.

Anyway, here's the link to their membership eligibility:

USAA Eligibility

And really, they have very knowledgeable CSR's overall. Rather than everyone here asking one another whether they're eligible, I'd suggest calling them:

1-800-531-0839

Monday to Friday 6:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. CT
Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. CT
Sunday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. CT

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 16
score_building
Senior Contributor

congrats!

my cousin (navy) recently shared some 'insider news" with me- it appears USAA has also recently opened up some of their banking and possibly other products to non military again.  note that when available to non military, credit products are apparently more difficult to qualify for than if you were military.  well, the news was apparently not that fresh because when i posted about it here in general there was very little response, presumably it was old news  here already, lol. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.