Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working your way down.

tag
delayedinsanity
Regular Contributor

Working your way down.

I kind of wish there was a "show me approval" application for each provider where you could fill out a single app, be approved for a small variety of cards and then pick one (or two depending on your credit score) out of the list.... since there isn't, is it a good or bad idea to try working my way down a list? Since I've been preparing for a small app spree to get a few more cards, I've been studying the array of options. I originally wanted nothing but cash back cards. I'm starting to realize that I may benefit more from a rewards or air miles card over the long term.

With that in mind, I'm starting to veer towards the Gold Delta Skymiles from Amex and the Escape from Discover, whereas I was originally going to go for the Zync and the Discover More. I am under the impression from what I've seen and researched that these might be mildly harder to qualify for than my original targets. So my question is, if I apply for them and am denied for whatever reason, should I then immediately apply for the "easier" card (the purpose of this endeavor is as much to increase my lines of revolving credit as it is to acquire functional cards)? I saw some rumor Amex might be able to use a single HP for multiple apps in one day. Would it be better to ask for the other card during a recon, or just apply for them immediately online?

The third card I plan on apping for is from my CU, so that's a cut and dry case; I'll either be approved or not, they only have two options... student or regular rewards Visa.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ajh5408
Contributor

Re: Working your way down.

IMHO: You'll want to inquire about alternatives via recon. If you apply again, the system will likely just reject your application automatically... I can't speak for AMEX, but I have heard that Discover does this for a period of 90+ days following a denial.

Also, unless you're going for status with a specific airline or require lounge access, bear in mind that some of the best travel cards are actually general rewards cards (like CSP), rather than affinity products. It all comes down to the way you spend your money... But definitely look into the options, consider your travel frequency, and whether the marginal benefit will make up for the (generally) higher annual fees.

Message 2 of 10
delayedinsanity
Regular Contributor

That makes sense. I may chicken out and just apply for the "sure things" and cross my fingers that they're as sure as I hope they are haha. I don't think I'm in the realm of CSP, or even remotely close to it yet, but I plan on going into the garden for a year to possibly even two after this which should easily put me in the range of much nicer cards.

Capital One just cut my statement so I'm hoping they report in the next few days. My GE has already reported, which will put me at about 16% utilization when all is said and done. I'll have to do some more last minute research but I think I know the cards I'm going to be trying for.

Message 3 of 10
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

I applied for two AMEX cards one after the other. One HP was reported on EX.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 4 of 10
delayedinsanity
Regular Contributor

I think your post in another thread may have been what I was referring to. Smiley Happy I'm probably still going to go Zync first because I don't want to open too many accounts at one time, but that's assuming I'll even be approved for any of my intended apps. Ahh. Deep breaths. Been waiting almost 6 months for this point... well, years if you count my first loan ever, but 6 months of consistent thought processes.

Message 5 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would apply for Delta, if denied go right back in and apply for Gold or Zync.

and for Discover, they now have a pre-approved thing, why not check that now and apply if it shows something... My friend just did it about 2 weeks ago and got instant approval... took about 2-3 days to get final e-mail with details and CL.

When he applied it had him set up online account but until the email came with finalization he could not log in.

Message 6 of 10
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hey delay... Smiley Happy  

If you are going for a Amex card,  hit up the charge products first before apping for a revolver.  If you are denied for any of their cards, all other apps will be kicked out until you are eligible to apply again.  I think it's 30 days.  I say the charge products first because they are the easier to get.  

Hope this helps.

Good Luck with the apps.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 7 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Amex denial requires 30 day waiting period and I think it hurts future app for 3 months. Not much but I have seen denial reasons to include denied recently for Amex as reason
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 8 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Hey delay... Smiley Happy  

If you are going for a Amex card,  hit up the charge products first before apping for a revolver.  If you are denied for any of their cards, all other apps will be kicked out until you are eligible to apply again.  I think it's 30 days.  I say the charge products first because they are the easier to get.  

Hope this helps.

Good Luck with the apps.

If you get denied Revolver, you have to wait to apply for another revolver, but you can still apply for a Charge Card.... So if you don't really want charge card but will take it if you can't get first choice, try for the revolver first.

Message 9 of 10
delayedinsanity
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the advice everyone. Smiley Happy

I actually got a pre approval from Discover More through the mail a week or two ago, and when I tried their site (just now) that was again what it recommended. However, it had the Escape as the first card under "additional offers", hmmm. Amex recommended the Green or Gold. My CapOne zero balance still hasn't hit my reports, last three months it reported on the 6th without fail, figures it would be dragging out on the month that I'm waiting for it day by day. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.