Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World Mastercard?

tag
chalupaman
Super Contributor

World Mastercard?

What exactly makes this type of card any different from a regular Mastercard and how does it compare to the Visa Signature programs? I also know there's a World Elite Mastercard but I have no idea what credit limit is required for a card to be converted to that. Just asking because my first ever World Mastercard is on its way in the mail right now and it's from Barclays so I wanted to know how that exactly works. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: World Mastercard?

I believe only requirement is to have card limit of 5k and up, and you'll get world mastercard. As for elite one, haven't got a clue. 

Message 2 of 45
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Depends solely on the creditor but for the most part WEMC requires minimum CL of $5k
Message 3 of 45
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Not sure what the difference is in standard world world elite.

Some lenders allow under 5k limit.

WEMC is only available on certain cards not all World MC can become WEMC. I'm sure master card charges more for the elite version assuming it isn't a lender branding thing that brings no additional perks.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 4 of 45
CreditPlay
Frequent Contributor

You can check mastercard world benefits here - http://www.mastercard.us/credit-card-world.html

i read in some threads that he has world mastercard double cash i guess with 3k limit, even someone said he have world elite GM card with < 5k . So i a not sure if we really have the 5 k constraint. It reports as " flexible spending card" in your report. In terms of benefits  world master card< visa siggy < world elite

FICO08 12/2014EQ 777TU 799EX 767

Message 5 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe only requirement is to have card limit of 5k and up, and you'll get world mastercard. As for elite one, haven't got a clue. 

As others said, it is up to the issuer.  Many issuers are now giving world MC with limits quite a bit below $5K, and there was a Cap One World Elite with a CL around $600.   It really doesn't mean that much these days.   Equally, going above $5K doesn't guarantee anything either, for MC or Visa.  My highest Visa card ($33K) is a Plat, whereas some much lower are Sigs.

And, with the Double Cash PCs, a lot of us went from a world card to a Plat card.

Message 6 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

longtimelurker - you would think world and world elite would be tied to credit profile, income, spending and the like. Same for visa signature/infinite. Used to be for those a cut above the rest in the credit world. Can't believe those who p/c'd Citi Cards to the Double Cash with World MC's received a regular master card. Where is the logic?!
Message 7 of 45
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

One's credit certainly determines what tier a person might be approved for but if you're relying on logic you will be confused.

@chalupaman wrote:

Just asking because my first ever World Mastercard is on its way in the mail right now and it's from Barclays so I wanted to know how that exactly works. 

Read the terms that come with the card and they'll detail all the benefits.  There are benefits common to given tiers (and you can look at the MasterCard and Visa sites if you want to read up on them) but, as stated above, what is specifically offered can vary by creditor and product.

@longtimelurker wrote:

It really doesn't mean that much these days.

+1 for me anyway.  The tier itself doesn't determine whether not a card is useful to me.  I have SD cards that are World MasterCards.  I have a Platinum Visa that I regularly use.  I have Signatures that see a lot of use and Signatures that don't see much use.  The tier is really just gravy IMO.  However, read up and see if specific benefits due to the tier of the card are important to you versus relying on generalizations about the different tiers.

The trend seems to be that new tiers come out as "exclusive" and generally become more ubiquitous over time.

Message 8 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As others said, it is up to the issuer.  Many issuers are now giving world MC with limits quite a bit below $5K, and there was a Cap One World Elite with a CL around $600.   It really doesn't mean that much these days.   Equally, going above $5K doesn't guarantee anything either, for MC or Visa.  My highest Visa card ($33K) is a Plat, whereas some much lower are Sigs.

And, with the Double Cash PCs, a lot of us went from a world card to a Plat card.

man... I always miss out Smiley LOL I'm waiting for my Arrival card, with low limit of 1500, Arrivals are world mastarcards but whenever I read emails from barclay, it just say "your Arrival mastercard", though I got curious and asked a customer service rep on the phone and he told me it was world mastercard. I guess I'll find out when I receive the card this week.

Message 9 of 45
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Alright. So in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter that much if I have a WMC or a regular MC. My limit is 2k on the card I'm waiting on.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.