Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: World Mastercard?

Sure wish the SM came in WEMC. Lol.
Message 31 of 45
happypill
Valued Contributor

I believe the GM Buypower card from Capital One is a WEMC with no annual fee.  The 5% rewards on all purchases is awesome but only on the first $5000 each year, which sucks.  The ultimate limitation, of course, is that you can only spend rewards on purchasing a GM vehicle.  For some, that's great, for others that makes it useless.

If you want WEMC benefits (whatever those may be) and no AF, then that's an option.

Message 32 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@happypill wrote:

I believe the GM Buypower card from Capital One is a WEMC with no annual fee.  The 5% rewards on all purchases is awesome but only on the first $5000 each year, which sucks.  The ultimate limitation, of course, is that you can only spend rewards on purchasing a GM vehicle.  For some, that's great, for others that makes it useless.

If you want WEMC benefits (whatever those may be) and no AF, then that's an option.

I did some math on it and it would take you 10+ years to come up with a decent down payment on a car just using this card for $10,000 spend/yr. Or $300/yr in rewards.

Message 33 of 45
NRB525
Super Contributor

@happypill wrote:

What I find interesting is that the Saks Fitth Avenue WEMC is also issued by CapOne. Also no AF.

So in my further efforts to boost Capital One, it becomes not only the CCC that will allow you to get your first real credit card, but also the CCC where you can get your first real, no AF WEMC, x2. Who says Capital One doesn't grow with you?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 34 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@happypill wrote:

What I find interesting is that the Saks Fitth Avenue WEMC is also issued by CapOne. Also no AF.

So in my further efforts to boost Capital One, it becomes not only the CCC that will allow you to get your first real credit card, but also the CCC where you can get your first real, no AF WEMC, x2. Who says Capital One doesn't grow with you?

If you applied while subprime. Don't expect your old accounts to grow.

Message 35 of 45
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@happypill wrote:

A secured card won't grow to WEMC, yes, but those who say they are "done wiith crapone" are probably not aware of the higher end products. Given the 19% - 21% APR on the Saks WEMC, it qualifies as a sub-prime WEMC anyway Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 36 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@happypill wrote:

A secured card won't grow to WEMC, yes, but those who say they are "done wiith crapone" are probably not aware of the higher end products. Given the 19% - 21% APR on the Saks WEMC, it qualifies as a sub-prime WEMC anyway Smiley Happy

It's taken 3+ years for me to get a QS WMC out of what was originally a Platinum Prestige.

However my QS Visa is stuck with it's last CLI and seemingly won't grow from there.

Message 37 of 45
happypill
Valued Contributor

I guess the question is what people mean by "grow with you".  If they mean, can you grow a $200 secured card to a $25k WEMC sometime down the road, the answer is probably no.  However, in my experience I do think you can grow by applying for other cards and qualify based on the relationship you have with them.

Going back 24 month, I had exactly 1 CC, a very old Cap1 business with $500 limit and an unusual story.  Around 18 months ago I added a secured card with $200 limit.  About 6 months ago, I applied for a Quicksilver One and was approved for $3k - well above what other lenders would have considered me for.  I then got a CLI to $1500 on old business card.  Most recently, just this month I applied for a Venture and was approved instantly online for $5k limit, again I believe much higher than what other lenders would consider me for.  My final moves have been to converto the QS1 to the QS, and just last week cancelled the secured card.

So, I wouldn't expect that a secured line would ever grow to a high limt, high rewards card, but I do believe that Cap1 will look beyond your credit report to your history with them and grow your relationship with them accordingly.

Message 38 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@happypill wrote:

So, I wouldn't expect that a secured line would ever grow to a high limt, high rewards card, but I do believe that Cap1 will look beyond your credit report to your history with them and grow your relationship with them accordingly.

Not with Capital One.

Perhaps if you go down to their EO building with a set of pliers and a couple of big guys to hold down an analyst while you go to town. Smiley Tongue

A little reading will reveal just how much of a headache it is to get Capital One to acknowledge your achievements and "relationship"

Message 39 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@happypill wrote:

Not with Capital One.

Perhaps if you go down to their EO building with a set of pliers and a couple of big guys to hold down an analyst while you go to town. Smiley Tongue

A little reading will reveal just how much of a headache it is to get Capital One to acknowledge your achievements and "relationship"

Nix - now ... now ... now, remember not too much honesty Smiley Wink

Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.