Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World and World Elite MasterCard Silver Logos

tag
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

World and World Elite MasterCard Silver Logos

So...the other day I had called Citi up to change my Dividend card to the ThankYou Preferred because I wanted to try something different.  The account number will stay the same and it will still remain a World MasterCard.  A couple of weeks ago, I opened up a United MileagePlus Explorer account with Chase and it too is a World MasterCard but it has the silver MasterCard logo on the front...I thought that this was restricted to World Elite only.

Then, today at a convenience store...the gentlemen ahead of me left his card at the checkout counter and as he was walking out I told him he left his card but I glanced at it and it seemed to be a Citi ThankYou Preferred World MasterCard but it had the silver logo on the front.  I am pretty sure it said "World" on it and not "World Elite".  

So my question is: are World cards now being issued with the silver logo on the front?  I still haven't received my new ThankYou Preferred card yet from Citi, but I just thought I would ask.

Any thoughts?

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: World and World Elite MasterCard Silver Logos

Citi is pretty strict about silver MC logo. What you likely saw was TY Premier or Prestige, which have WE MC. Preferred is World only and has a standard MC logo.

Chase is loose on silver MC logo. Cards like Sapphire or United will have silver logo instead.

Message 2 of 6
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Citi has WE versions of TY Preferred and Premier however they are based on certain criteria and these have silver logos and the words WE on the back. So you perhaps saw a TYP WEMC since Citi does not issue World with silver logo. Chase issues a few Worlds with silver logo, I think the only lender that does. Even the official info says "World Elite product features a premium MasterCard brand mark that visually distinguishes the card from other MasterCard cards." I guess Chase is the exception.

Message 3 of 6
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

I was unaware United has a MasterCard.  Was it converted from a Continental OnePass card?  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 4 of 6
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

I just received my Citi ThankYou Preferred World MasterCard today and it does have the traditional MasterCard logo...perhaps I saw incorrectly, but I could have sworn that it just said "World" on the card with a silver logo.

@visorboy1974 wrote:

I was unaware United has a MasterCard.  Was it converted from a Continental OnePass card?  

No, I just applied for it a couple of weeks ago.  When I applied, it was opened up as a Visa Signature account but I called immediately after the application was approved and asked if they had a MasterCard version since I already have a Visa with Chase (my Chase Sapphire).  The representative converted it to a MasterCard without any issue.

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 5 of 6
bribro
Valued Contributor

Chase is the only issuer I've seen that uses the silver MC logo on non-World Elite cards.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.