Did you mean: 

Worst Credit Cards Known To Exist!?

tag
andre181
Established Contributor

Re: Worst Credit Cards Known To Exist!?

@Denny33142 wrote:

@andre181

I think Chase Freedom is a top prime card and i am sure most people would agree with me, No Annual fee and 5% on rotating categories is hard to beat.

As for the worst Prime Card i would also say the Visa Black Card by far, $450 AF with rewards that are no better than the AMEX Green.

Not disagreeing at all. The rewards are great, its just the poor way Chase treats their customers and their subpar customer service that have driven me away. I'll take my Discover and US Bank Cash+ any day. As I said before, I only lose out on $22.50 of cash back by using my Discover over the Freedom. 

My Chase Freedom card is sitting in my bank's safe deposit box and it will remain there indefinitely.

I firmly believe that choosing your credit cards is like choosing your cell phone provider. With credit cards, you should pick the best credit card that you qualify for and that meet your spending needs. With you cell phone carrier, choose the carrier with the best service in your area that offers the services you need at the price you are willing and able to pay.

Its all about choosing what works best for you. Everyone is going to be different.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 21 of 45
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:

OK here is a list of some of the worst "prime" cards.  Guys this is just IMO so go easy but I fully plan to get flamed anyway.

Amex Green

Amex Gold

Citi Thank You Premier

Visa Black Card

I agree on all of those but the citi card.

Disagree with the citi card:

I think that it's not great, but not as bad as the others listed. At least it comes with a sign up bonus, companion tickets, and no FTF's.

Completely agree here:

AMEX green and gold are high AF's for benefits that are easy to find on no AF cards. Visa black does offer some decent things, but not as good as card with AF's $100 lower.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 22 of 45
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

If you value CLIs then Crapital One and Chase might not be your cup of tea.

Transunion - 820 (9/8/21)
Equifax Fico 8 - 832 (9/8/21)
Vantagescore - 821 (3/20/21)
Message 23 of 45
GomerPyle
Regular Contributor

@Jazzzy wrote:

I think the worst prime card is Discover. Having to spend $3k EACH YEAR before you start getting even 1%.....no cash back if you shop at Walmart, Target, etc... I refuse to have $3k each year go down the drain with no rewards when there are so many other good options.

I use Discover for their 5% categories and once in a great while buy something through Shop Discover. Otherwise...useless. Also, call or email their customer service twice, and you will likely get 2 different answers. Can't trust them.

+1   you also have to watch rewards with them. They will not credit the rewards properly in hopes you will not notice. I have called many times to have rewards straightened out. I expect honesty but they always have an excuse.

Message 24 of 45
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@andre181 wrote:

@Jazzzy wrote:

I think the worst prime card is Discover. Having to spend $3k EACH YEAR before you start getting even 1%.....no cash back if you shop at Walmart, Target, etc... I refuse to have $3k each year go down the drain with no rewards when there are so many other good options.

I use Discover for their 5% categories and once in a great while buy something through Shop Discover. Otherwise...useless. Also, call or email their customer service twice, and you will likely get 2 different answers. Can't trust them.

You earn .25% on the first $3,000 annually, instead of the full 1% that other cards give you. If you do the math, you're only losing out on $22.50 of cash back. I consider that a small price to pay for far superior customer service than Chase or BoA. And in my experience, Discover's customer service has been as good or even slightly better than American Express. Discover has never done me wrong.

Totally not trying to brag or anything, but if you look at my signature, I have most of the more popular cash back cards from the prime banks and Discover More is my absolute favorite and I run about $3k per month through it, so I hit that $3k minimum very quickly. 

And you do earn cash back at Walmart, Target, etc., but they are at .25%. But I use my Target card at Target for 5% off, and at Walmart I use my US Bank Cash+.

Thank you for making my point. And...I agree that the CSR folks are very nice. The problem is that they often don't know what they are talking about. Been there. Done that. Too many times.

Message 25 of 45
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

I think Capital One "For Average Credit" is the worst - *Disclaimer* Yes they give you a chance when no one else does, but they banish you to low credit limit prison and will not grow with you.  I have loved their "Secured" card because unlike some of the other secured cards, Captial One does not report theirs as "Secured" on your credit report. I like that.

As fas as Prime Cards - I think Citi and Bank of America because they hate me for some reason! LOL!Smiley Tongue

Message 26 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit one. They are getting the axe Monday. Daily interest and crappy customer service is bullsh*t.
Message 27 of 45
Jlu
Established Contributor

For everyone saying FP, CreditOne etc I think the OP was asking what the worst PRIME credit card is.

In which case I'd say the AMEX Green. I swear they keep it around for the nostalgia effect. I mean WHY would you choose this over PRG or even Gold? When Zync was still around it was even more of a no brainer.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 28 of 45
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

From what I've read here on these boards the worse prime card is the one you can't get. So many people seem to rip on lenders that will not approve them. I will say that the Visa Black card does look pretty useless considering the high AF.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 29 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jlu wrote:

For everyone saying FP, CreditOne etc I think the OP was asking what the worst PRIME credit card is.

In which case I'd say the AMEX Green. I swear they keep it around for the nostalgia effect. I mean WHY would you choose this over PRG or even Gold? When Zync was still around it was even more of a no brainer.

I'm sure the Green's legacy is a large part of why it is still offered as it is.  But I'm also not sure it's really that bad of a card, it's just that there are a few better options that overshadow it, like the PRG, Starwood, or BCE/BCP.  For almost everyone, one of those options would be a better choice than the Green.  There's also cards from other lenders, like the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which is a much better value for the same annual fee (but does have different transfer partners, so it may not be a clearcut choice for everyone).

Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.