Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst Credit Cards Known To Exist!?

tag
toppers555
Established Contributor

Re: Worst Credit Cards Known To Exist!?

Well visa black card is not meant for your average person it aim is clearly elitism not really awards.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 31 of 45
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Those who cancel your account with no late payments, because your credit score dropped.

Message 32 of 45
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Jlu wrote:

For everyone saying FP, CreditOne etc I think the OP was asking what the worst PRIME credit card is.

In which case I'd say the AMEX Green. I swear they keep it around for the nostalgia effect. I mean WHY would you choose this over PRG or even Gold? When Zync was still around it was even more of a no brainer.

I'm going to disagree here, because it still comes down to the individual's needs/wants/circumstances. Choices regarding particular credit cards is very much a YMMV sort of thing.

When I was in the middle of rebuilding my credit, with scores only in the mid-600s, Amex offered me a Green. I had a 20 year old, unpaid CO with Amex, and they STILL approved me! The card was backdated all the way to 1987. And so, I had a prime card with about a quarter of a century of clean history (at least as far as AAoA scoring goes) pop up on my reports! The first year was free, but that backdating effect is WELL worth the AF for me!

So why not PRG or Gold? I'd use none of the additional benefits of the Gold, and I don't fly often enough for the 3x MRP points on the PRG to justify the difference in AFs. As for gas and groceries, I get 2% and 3% back respectively on my BoA card, with no AF. I'm happy to use the Green as my basic 1% card in the form of MR points, along with receiving all of the other benefits that come with an Amex. So for the money, I'm actually very happy with my long-backdated Amex Green. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 33 of 45
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

Any BOA product that isn't in it's promo period

Message 34 of 45
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with wolf3...
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 35 of 45
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

In terms of prime cards? Visa Black from Barclays.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 36 of 45
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@Jlu wrote:

For everyone saying FP, CreditOne etc I think the OP was asking what the worst PRIME credit card is.

In which case I'd say the AMEX Green. I swear they keep it around for the nostalgia effect. I mean WHY would you choose this over PRG or even Gold? When Zync was still around it was even more of a no brainer.

I'm going to disagree here, because it still comes down to the individual's needs/wants/circumstances. Choices regarding particular credit cards is very much a YMMV sort of thing.

When I was in the middle of rebuilding my credit, with scores only in the mid-600s, Amex offered me a Green. I had a 20 year old, unpaid CO with Amex, and they STILL approved me! The card was backdated all the way to 1987. And so, I had a prime card with about a quarter of a century of clean history (at least as far as AAoA scoring goes) pop up on my reports! The first year was free, but that backdating effect is WELL worth the AF for me!

So why not PRG or Gold? I'd use none of the additional benefits of the Gold, and I don't fly often enough for the 3x MRP points on the PRG to justify the difference in AFs. As for gas and groceries, I get 2% and 3% back respectively on my BoA card, with no AF. I'm happy to use the Green as my basic 1% card in the form of MR points, along with receiving all of the other benefits that come with an Amex. So for the money, I'm actually very happy with my long-backdated Amex Green. Smiley Happy

Wouldn't a no AF AMEX card have the same effect?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 37 of 45
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Dustink wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@Jlu wrote:

Yes, but I wasn't offered a revolver. Remember, they offered me a charge card when my scores were still in iffy territory AND I had an old, unpaid CO with them. I still have not seen a preapproved offer for a revolver come up on their website for me.

In any case, there have been numerous discussions on these forums about Amex charge vs. credit cards. I'd like to keep the charge card due to its no pre-set limit and the fact that it doesn't factor in my util. Given those factors, the Green makes the most sense for me.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 38 of 45
Dustink
Valued Contributor

+Re: Worst Credit Cards Known To Exist!?

@tinuviel wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@Jlu wrote:

Yes, but I wasn't offered a revolver. Remember, they offered me a charge card when my scores were still in iffy territory AND I had an old, unpaid CO with them. I still have not seen a preapproved offer for a revolver come up on their website for me.

In any case, there have been numerous discussions on these forums about Amex charge vs. credit cards. I'd like to keep the charge card due to its no pre-set limit and the fact that it doesn't factor in my util. Given those factors, the Green makes the most sense for me.

Oh okay cool. Yeah that makes sense. I would just think the requirements for the cards would be similar. With a revolver they can put a hard limit on the card, whereas the charge cards could get more debt racked up before the decline. Seems like the risk associated with each would be comparable, I guess AMEX see's it differently.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 39 of 45
HiHiHiHiHiHi
New Contributor

I think the worst credit card is the Continental Finance Cerulean Discover. It has a $144 maintenance charge billed at $12 a month on top of that it also has a $75 annual fee. That is $214 dollars a year for a credit card with no rewards, 29.99% APR, and a $300 credit limit. Before you even receive the card you already owe them $87 and have a 29% UTL on the card.

Scores: EQ-798 EX-802 TU-786

CC: |Amex PRG - NPSL| |Citi Simplicity - 22.6K| |CapOne No Hassle Rewards - 20K| |Chase Freedom 17.5K| |CSP 15K| |Discover IT - 7.8K| |Discover More - 6.1K| |GE PC Richard - 4.5K| |Amex Delta Gold - 3.5K| |Citi Goodyear - 2.5K| |CapOne Kohls - 1.5K| |GAP - 1.5K| |Macy's Amex - 1K| |Ann Taylor - 0.5K| |NY&C - 0.5K|
Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.